Chapter 16: Doubt

Sans woke up shivering in pain. His whole body was hurting from Undyne's stabs. He wasn't sure if the pain actually existed or if his brain was playing tricks on him due to the shock, but it hurt a lot either way.

Once again, he didn't know what to do. It was clear that Undyne would never agree to let Serifa go. Who was he supposed to turn to for help?

-Asgore, maybe... he thought to himself.

Asgore was a kind hearted person who never liked hurting others. Sure, he was the one who declared war against the humans, but that was only because he had to. In reality, he was a really merciful king. So,maybe he would let Serifa go.

The problem was, Asgore's castle was too far away and, up to now, they had barely been able to make it to Waterfall. Considering how many resets that alone had taken, Serifa's death in this timeline was inevitable, and the same probably applied to the next ones as well. It would take a lot of repeats until they could find out the right way to do everything in order to reach their goal.

Sans angrily slapped himself for even considering that. He hated this way of thinking. This whole idea meant that he had to just accept the fact that Serifa would die countless times until they reach their goal. It meant that he needed to treat the upcoming timelines as training and nothing more. He didn't want to think that way. However, he soon realised that what he was doing was exactly that: training and testing until he finds a solution.

-So...for me to learn how to save you...you have to keep dying... he monologued sadly as he looked at her. How cruel.

He looked out the window. It was a sunny day, as in every repetition. He took a deep breath.

-Well,if that's the case...let's just get this over with... he sighed and shook Serifa.

Serifa woke up and looked at him with a sleepy face.

-Good morning, sweetheart.

His voice was sad and a bit unfeeling. He was too disappointed and it was showing a lot.

-Good morning Sansy...! You look...weird. Did you have a nightmare...?

-No, nothing like that darling. It's just that...you have to get up.

-Why...? she complained. I wanna loll a bit more...

-Don't wanna scare you, but the Royal Guards know you're here. You have to get ready so we can escape.

-Escape to where? Doesn't everyone here want to kill the human?

She sounded worried, yet Sans didn't have the psychological strength to support her. He only managed to fake a smile.

-Don't worry. I have some tricks up my sleeve. Just get ready.

-If you say so...

Sans really wished he could be more positive for her, but he wasn't sure about himself, even if he claimed to be. Serifa got ready and they headed for the outside door.

-So,listen carefully. I am going to freeze time for everyone except us.Don't ask how, it's complicated. I freeze time and we run to a certain place to hide so I can regain my strength. Then we do the same until we reach the King's castle. There, I'll persuade him to spare you. Whatever happens, don't let go of my hand. Understand everything, darling?

-I...I think so. But-

-Good. Let's do it.

And so they did. Like before, the ran up to the waterfall and hid in the cave behind it. Sans lied down to rest but didn't fall asleep for that long this time -he had, once more grown stronger. After he woke,he peeked outside and saw that Undyne hadn't reached this area yet.