It Only Takes Once (Chapter 36)

"You in pain?" He asked.

"Not yet, but I'm sure it's coming so we have to hurry so I can get to the hospital for my epidural before I have my first contraction." I said to him before grabbing my food and waddling towards the stairs.

"Where are you going?" He called after me.

"To wash off and change clothes."

"Okay, I'll go put your hospital bag in the car." He called after me.

"Thanks, I'll be down in a minute." I told him before going into my closet and pulling out of pair of Khadarious's sweat pants that I'd stolen from him.

I was just about to walk down the stairs again when I had a thought.

I'm not bringing my kids into the world looking a mess.

I scoffed at the thought of looking back at pictures and videos from the twins birth years from now.

I went to the bathroom and took a bird bath because I didn't have time to take a shower, after showering I brushed my teeth and applied a facial mask.

Thank God I had gone to the spa to get my manicure, pedicure, and waxings done. All that was left to do was gel down my edges and put my twists up into a bun and apply my makeup. This process took less than thirty minutes and I hadn't had a contraction yet, praise God.

Since it was a little chilly outside I put on a pair of leggings on under Khadarious's sweatpants. I added my white, black, and red crew neck Tupac sweater and my black and red Samoa Adidas.

"You ready?" Pops asked when I came downstairs with my oversized Prada bag and phone in hand.

"Almost, hold on." I replied before stopping at the refrigerator, to get ingredients out to make a sandwich.

"What in the hell are you doing?" Pops asked looking at me upside my head like I was crazy.

"Making a sandwich." I shrugged.

"Hello?" He said with an attitude.

"What?" I asked looking over at him to see him shaking his head at me.

"You're in labor." He yelled.

"I know that, but I know they're not going to let me eat when I get to the hospital so I'm gonna eat now." I explained to him.

"I'll be in the car." He huffed.

After making my two sandwiches, grabbing a bag of chips, a couple pickles, and a big bottle of water, I headed to the car.

"I can't believe I'm about to be a grandfather, this shit is unreal." Pops said shaking his head and then running his hand over his face as he sped down the interstate.

"Believe it Pops." I laughed.

The whole way to the hospital I prayed that I would have a safe, quick, and as painless as possible delivery while I ate my snack.

When we got to the hospital I still hadn't had not one contraction, Pops walked me in and I got signed in and immediately put into a room. I was carrying twins and I was due two days ago. The receptionist told me it was unheard of.

"Hello Mr. and Mrs. Daniels, I'm Mary Dawkins, I'll be your nurse for the night." She said coming into the room with a big smile on her face

"Hi." I smiled back trying to stuff my sandwiches back into my purse to hide it from her. If she tried to confiscate my food we'd be fighting.

"I've called Dr. Ross and she's on her way. Are you in any pain?" She asked writing on a clip board.

"No ma'am, not yet. Thank God" I said truthfully.