Chapter Three

Some days had passed since the crash. Sarah had spent her days off work at their instances. Being involved in a crash was one thing, but being involved in a fatal crash was something else. For many days, she had lay in bed, unable to find the strength to get up.

The local papers, however, had not been so quiet. The whole crash had been documented on nine of the local newspaper, telling the incorrect tale of a female driver carelessly driving at speed on a wide country lane, killing an innocent man driving home to his mother and father. The papers had even gone to the extent to write that the female driver was possibly under the influence of drink or drugs.

The local radio station had taken this lie of a story as the truth. The morning radio presenter was heard to slam people for drink and drug driving, calling them devils who had no regard for anyone but themselves. The presenter went on to slate the police, questioning why no arrest was made at the scene if the driver had been careless and possibly under the influence.

Social media had been where people actually talked about the incident. One commenter posted that people should not follow everything they saw in the papers because if the lady involved had been found to be under the influence, she would have been arrested on the spot. This commenter was abused for her comment. Many people replied her, saying that she was as bad as the driver if she thought like that. People were quick to judge and they were obliviously avid readers of the local trash of newspapers, taking their word as if they had been uttered by God himself. She should be strung up and left there to rot, one commenter had posted which received numbers of likes and comments to agree.

Sarah spent most of her days lying in bed, trying not to let these comments about her get to her. Death had not made an appearance since the night of the crash. However, her mind was still attempting to cope with the whole ordeal. Nathan had taken a few days off work also. He spent his time speaking to Sarah's family, letting them know the stories in the press were not true and filled them in on the actual facts. He had also arranged with the police for a time and place for when Sarah would feel up to speaking with an officer.

He had made it clear that Sarah was still suffering from the events of the crash, and would not be available to speak to for at least two weeks. Nathan had spoken to Sarah at length about the whole crash and the events leading up to the collision. He then drew a map outlining the road and the point of where she saw the headlights appear. Nathan had it all mapped out, ready for when the officer would attend to question her.

The weather had been bleak and cold. The house had been battered by sheets of torrential rain. Gusts of wind rolled in, bashing against the walls of the house. However, the house withstood what mother nature threw at it, and for the first time since they had moved in, the roof had not leaked. Today, Sarah awoke to the Sun shining into the bedroom from the large bay windows. She sat up in bed, peering at the bedside alarm clock. It was 10:25 A.M. She could hear the birds chirping in the garden. For some strange reason, she felt as if her world was slowly going back to normal.

For the first time in days, she got out from under the covers and walked into the ensuite bathroom. Sarah had never taken such a long shower. She must have spent an hour in there, cleaning away the days of dismay and guilt from her body. She felt as if her body had been cleansed from all the horrors of the past few days.

As she exited the bathroom, she was greeted by Nathan who was getting changed into a smart looking dark grey suit. He turned to see Sarah out of bed, a happy grin formed across his face.

"You're up, how do you feel?" he asked, moving closer to her. She smiled in return.

"I feel better, much better in fact," Sarah said, placing a towel over her wet hair. "Where are you going?"