Chapter Four

The mother was pointing at Sarah. She stood there for what seemed like hours, before she felt up to speaking. "You," She growled. "How dare you step foot in this church, how dare you even think you are welcome at my baby's funeral." The mother was no longer shaking with surprise. Blood was coursing through her body, anger rising from her every pores. She threw herself off the alter, storming her way toward Sarah.

Sarah stepped out from the stall now, standing in the aisle. Rachel hurried after her seeing the mother tearing toward her, like a rampaging bull let loose. Members of the family tried to stop her from getting closer, however, she slammed against them, sending them flying into the stalls. Sarah could feel the heat radiating from the mother, who now stood shaking with anger in front of her. "What makes you think you are welcome here murderer!" she screamed in Sarah's face, spit flying from her like a rattlesnake attacking its prey.

"Please, I'm sorry. I just came to pay my respects," Sarah plead. The mother glared at her.

"You killed my son, you took my only son away from me," She spat, her cheeks getting redder and redder by the second. "And you have the nerve to come here and pay your respects." She moved closer to Sarah's face, she could feel the woman's breath burning against her cheeks. Sarah was speechless. She did not know how to respond. All the eyes in the room were cast her way; looks of judgement and disgust clear.

"I'm so sorry, I will leave." Sarah began to move away, however before she could move any further, the mother screamed. The high pitch scream echoed through the church, ringing in Sarah's ears. Sarah felt the sheer pain coming from her hair, as the mother had grabbed the back of Sarah's hair, yanking it back towards her. "Where do you think you are going bitch? I'm not done with you," She screamed.

The mother began punching and slapping Sarah's head, delivering sharp and heavy blows. Sarah was unable to fend her off as she was unbelievable strong and she still had a grip of Sarah's hair, pulling on it harder and harder, with every blow she struck. Rachel attempted to get the woman off Sarah, however, she was pushed back by a bystander. Sarah not seeing any way out, mustered all of her strength and turned around, the pain too much to bear. With one final pull, Sarah was free from the mother's grasp. However, she was missing a small clump of hair.

She began to run now, seizing her opportunity to get away. The doorway to the church was still open. Suddenly, a pair of arms clutched around her waist with a force behind it, sending her to the ground. The mother had not wasted any time either. She had been in pursuit and had tackled Sarah. She was now sitting on Sarah's chest, punching her repeatedly in the face. Sarah put her hands up, trying to block her attacks. The mother then grabbed one of her hands, biting hard against her skin. Sarah screamed in pain, as the woman's teeth clenched hard, she could feel her skin tearing under the strain.

The woman was heavy and her whole weight was pushing down on Sarah's chest. Her lungs were now crying out for air. She tried to shout for help, but no sound escaped her mouth. Her world began going black as if she was losing consciousness. Suddenly, she felt the weight free from her chest and air filled her lungs once more. Two men were struggling to pull the woman away from Sarah, she was bearing her teeth screaming. "Let me have her, she's dead." The men pulled her further away. "Mother, Gareth would not want you to do this. Think about him. This is not what he would want," One of the men said, in attempts to calm the woman down.

Those words must have struck a calm cord inside the woman's body. Her eyes no longer showed anger, rather disappointment at her behaviour. She stopped struggling and looked at her other son. "I am sorry; I don't know what came over me."

Sarah got to her feet. Rachel was now at her side, holding onto her arm. "Come on Sarah, let's go." Sarah shook her head and walked toward the woman. "Mrs Williams, I am so sorry. I never meant for it to happen," Sarah said. The son blocked Sarah off. "Miss I think its best that you leave now." He said in a calm tone.