19

We sit for a few minutes until the waitress comes back and Sherlock orders a bottle of the best wine.

"Oh Sherlock. Why are you doing this fancy dinner for me? What's going on?" I ask, filling my glass with the red liquid.

"What? There's nothing going on."

He is talking unnaturally fast and I know he's lying, but I don't question it further. We order our food, and when it arrives, near to an hour later we eat, casual conversation in between. When both plates are nearly empty, Sherlock excuses himself to the bathroom, and I stay at the table, running my finger over the rim of my wine glass.

Sherlock's POV

I stand in front of the mirror, straightening my tie and putting my hand in my pocket to reveal a black velvet box. Opening it, I admire the gold band inside.

"I'm not backing out this time." I say to myself and continue to look at the ring.

Another man walks in and notices me admiring the ring. "Me too man." He says, pulling out a black box. "I've chickened out twice, and this time I'm finally doing it." He smiles and opens the box. I see a beautiful diamond ring.

"She'll be a very happy girl. I'm sure." I smile and close my box, putting it back in my pocket.

"So will yours." He smiles reassuringly, but I don't correct him that it's actually a man. I open the door of the bathroom and slowly walk back to the table. I watch from around a corner, watching him with the wine glass, moving his hands to fix his tie, touching the rose on the table. I smile to myself.

This is it. I love him, I have to do this. I take a deep breath and walk back to the table.

"John..." My voice cracks.

"Sherlock, are you ok?" He looks at me, his hand covering mine, and I blink away the happy tears, a genuine smile coming on my face.

"John, I love you."

"I love you too Sherlock." He smiles, that perfect, John smile.

"That's not what I mean John. It hasn't been very long, but I know that I love you. You've brought me to a place where I know who I am, and where I want to be. And that is with you." I stand up from my chair and kneel in front of him, holding the black box out in front of him.

His hands cover his mouth, his eyes wide in astonishment.

"Will you marry me John Hamish Watson?"