04 - Back in the Subway Station

The school day ended and Noah, Riley, and Maya were back in the subway station, heading back home.

Riley and Noah's apartment complex was on the way. Noah and his grandparents lived across the hall from the Matthews family.

"Riley? Noah?" Maya said.

"Yeah?" Riley said.

"If, we can't hang out with each other as much anymore, don't worry about it," Maya said.

"Wait, why would..." Riley started.

"He's going to make you end our friendship," Maya said. "And he's going to talk to your parents, too, Noah."

"They don't care who I'm friends with," Noah said. "So don't worry about it."

"He said that?" Riley asked.

"He's really upset with me," Maya said.

"He loves you," Riley said.

"I don't think so, not anymore. I just want you to know, that it wouldn't be your fault," Maya said.

"Just because he loves her, it won't stop him from being upset with her, Riley," Noah said. "And how does this affect our friendship, Maya? Mr. Matthews isn't my dad."

"Yes, but you do live across the hall from them," Maya pointed out, "that could affect our friendship."

"No, it won't," Noah insisted. "I promise it won't."

Maya gave him a small smile.

He made a promise to his friend and is planning on sticking to it. 

Evelyn, the woman who worked a 12-hour shift, started to clap. "Bee-you-ti-ful! You three little bumblebees got a sweet thing going, but where's your hunk?" she asked. She paused. "You ain't got no hunk, you ain't got no story!"

Noah rolled his eyes. 

It seems like whenever he's with Riley and Maya, and someone notices them, they seem to not notice him. It's like he's invisible to people. Now there's Lucas. He's never been this invisible.

"I haven't been a good friend," Maya said. "To either of you."

"You're our best friend," Riley said.

"She's your best friend. Best friends are important. I have a best friend. I'm not talking to her right now," Evelyn said.

"I go too far. And I don't think that's gonna change. I'm bad for you," Maya said.

"Yes, you go too far, Maya," Noah said. "But I'm pretty sure, that you need friends like me and Riley, to stop you from being too wild, even though sometimes, I may not be helpful."

"He's right. Did my dad really say that?" Riley asked.

"He will," Maya said. 

The subway stopped. 

"This is your stop. Don't be me. You don't go as far as me."

"No," Riley said. Maya led her and Noah off the Subway. "No!"

"Maya, don't push me off the subway," Noah said.

"No! Do not push them off this train," Evelyn said. Riley turns to leave. "You do not push your best friends off the train." The doors then closed.

"We're not you," Riley said. She turned around, then opens the door.

"Riley?" Noah questioned.

"Ooh, she's back! That little girl pushed those doors open with the power of love!" Evelyn said.

"You're not allowed to abandon our friendship. I would never do that," Riley said. "Neither would Noah."

"Riley, I'm pushing you away because I'm not good for you anymore," Maya said.

"Only I decide that. You know why?" Riley asked.

"Why?" Maya asked.

"Because if this is my world now, the first two people I want in it, are you and Noah," Riley said. 

"You're gonna save me, aren't you?" Maya asked.

"I am," Riley said.

The three friends took off running. Noah fell behind due to his guitar case being heavy.

***

"Where is he?" Riley asked.

Auggie and Mrs. Matthews pointed at Mr. Matthews.

"There is no way, I'll let you break up Noah and I's friendship with Maya," Riley said

"Is that what you think I want, Riley, Noah?" Mr. Matthews asked.

"I didn't think that," Noah shrugged. "They thought that," he referred to Riley and Maya. 

"No. What you said is that what you really want, is for me to make the world my own. And you want me to do my homework. Well, I'm doing it right now. Here's what I think is worth fighting for. This is our best friend. She's gonna get us into trouble, and I'm gonna get us out of it. And I did because here we are. Look at us, Dad. We're right here. My Civil War is over, Dad. I won. What happens now?" Riley asked.

***

"Friends, family, and all you other subterranean, mole people. We're here today to celebrate Riley, being Riley. Now, some may call this a New York City Subway pass. But you, Riley, can consider this a ticket to the world," Mr. Matthews said.

"You think I'm ready?" Riley asked.

"You showed us you are," Mrs. Matthews responded.

"Riley, I've already met the world. It's your turn," Mr. Matthews said.

Riley smiled and took the card from her father.

"Hey, this isn't so different from Texas. Look, there's a pony," Lucas said.

"That's a rat," Noah corrected Lucas.

Gretchen and her friend walked by.

"Ladies," Farkle said.

"Farkle," Gretchen and her friends said.

Farkle and Lucas started to walk away and Noah hung back with Maya and Riley.

"So, where do you wanna go?" Maya asked.

"Don't know. Big world," Riley said.

"Ours now?" Maya said.

"Yeah, but my dad did say I have to be home by five," Riley said.

"Don't worry. He wrote you a note," Maya said.

"He did?" Riley asked.

"He did," Noah confirmed, smiling.

Noah handed Riley a note as they walked into the Subway.

The Subway Announcer said through the speakers, "Next stop, Astor Place, 14th Street, and the world."