13 - Art Class

Noah headed to school with Riley and Maya. They both were talking about a topic that he was uninterested in. His mind wondered off to music.

He was looking forward to his music class that day. 

He was taking music as an elective this year and was looking forward to what his teacher, Mr. Evans, was going to teach them that day.

Noah came back to reality when Maya snapped her fingers in front of his face.

"You okay, Noah?" Riley asked.

"Hm? Yeah, I'm fine," Noah said. "I'm fine."

"We're here," Maya said.

"Okay," Noah said.

He followed his friends out of the train and up the stairs to get to the school.

They met Lucas and Farkle outside of the building and headed in together.

Noah dropped his guitar in his music class, not wanting to carry it until it's time for class.

The day went on and when it was time for art class, Farkle was nowhere to be seen.

"Where is Farkle?" Noah asked as the class were drawing.

"I don't -" Lucas began but at that moment, Farkle walked in a robe.

"Oh, there he is," Noah said.

"Why don't you take a load of this?" Farkle said before taking off his robes.

"No!" Riley and Maya said at the same time. Riley had closed her eyes.

Noah stared at Farkle, wide eyed. He hadn't expected this to happen.

"Well!" Ms. Kossal chuckled. "Looky here. The male... physique."

"Why thank you, art lady," Farkle said.

"Why aren't we drawing Lucas?" Riley asked.

Ms. Kossal looked at Lucas. "Because nobody looks like that," she said.

"What about Noah?" Maya suggested.

"He seems fitting for the job, but I doubt he would be up to it," Ms. Kossal said. "He's just... yeah, I don't think he's up to it."

Noah felt something stab him in his heart. He didn't make a reaction. He hoped that his face didn't reveal how her comment stung him.

He's not up to the job? He would've done it if she asked, but she didn't. How would she know if he wasn't? She's his teacher. She shouldn't be saying those stuff about her students in front of them. He knows enough that she shouldn't be saying that about her students in front of them.

Whatever confidence he had in art class quickly dwindled. He lost it. He doesn't think he can be as good as he was anymore, not that he was the best in art to begin with. He was good enough to get a passing great, but not as good as Maya.

Now that Ms. Kossal said that he's not up for it, he's not sure if he's even good anymore.

She then walked over to Farkle and grabs him by the shoulders. "Get used to this. Get used to this right now. When drawing a 'Farkle,' start with the eyes," Ms. Kossal said.

"I think the eyes should go straight to the gun show," Farkle said. He flexed his muscles.

Riley looked at Maya's work. "Maya, you're supposed to concentrate on the eyes."

"See, you know what my problem is? I don't listen. By the way, you're drawing Lucas," Maya said.

Riley looked down at her work and smiled at Lucas. "Oh. Well, that's the first time I've ever done that."

Noah flipped Riley's notebook to the next page to reveal a drawing of a bowel of fruit with Lucas' face in every fruit

"Do I need help?" Riley asked.

Maya nodded.

Noah remained silent and didn't answer his friend's question.

"All right, I know these are works in progress, but let's see where we are," Ms. Kossal said.

"Maybe we'll become famous artists. We'll go to Paris," Riley said, standing up, "drink coffee in outdoor cafes." She then mimiced drinking coffee. "How do I look?"

Maya vocalized turned as she drew Riley. She then shows the drawing to Riley and Noah.

"Nice," Noah laughed.

Riley shot a look at Noah.

"Fine, make fun of me. I am a serious artist who belongs in Paris," Riley said. She turned and smiled at Lucas. "Bonjour, Lucas."

Lucas responded in French, "Bonjour, Riley. Peut-être qu'un jour vous et moi nous irons à Paris ensemble." The translation was, "Hello, Riley. Maybe someday you and I will go to Paris together."

Riley clearly has no idea what Lucas just said so she repeated, "Bonjour, Lucas."

"You speak French?" Noah asked Lucas stunned.

"Yeah," he nodded. 

"Wow," Noah said, impressed. "That was a twist I didn't see coming."

Lucas chuckled. 

"Oh my gosh," Ms. Kossal said.

Riley smiled widely. "See? I am an artist. I am finally something."

"Maya," Ms. Kossal said.

"What a life I'm having," Riley said, annoyed.

"Don't worry about it, Riles," Noah assured the girl. "I'm pretty sure you have other talents."

"Maya. My goodness," Ms. Kossal showed Maya's work to the class. "This is brilliant!"

"Farkle is in a bird's nest," Riley said.

"It's a work of surrealism, Riley. It's how this artist's mind views the subject," Ms. Kossal said.

"I'm a bird to you?" Farkle asked Maya.

"No, you just... need to be protected," Maya said.

"You love me," Farkle said.

"Leave me alone," Maya said.

"Why can't you give up on Maya and Riley loving you, Farkle?" Noah asked his friend.

Farkle shrugged.

"Maya, there's a school exhibit coming up. I want one of your pieces in it," Ms. Kossal said.

"What about my piece?" Riley asked.

"That's a cute top," Ms. Kossal said, avoiding Riley's question.

"No thanks, Ms. Kossal, I don't draw for other people to look at, but thank you," Maya said.

"I'd appreciate you thinking about it, okay?" Ms. Kossal said.

Farkle got up to leave.

"Where are you headed, Farkle?" Riley asked.

"Gym class. That should go well, right?" Farkle said.

Noah watched Farkle to leave.

"Noah?" Riley said.

"Yeah?"

"Do you think I have a talent?" Riley asked.

Noah tore his eyes away from the classroom door and looked at Riley.

"I do," Noah said.

"Then what is it?"

"I honestly don't know," Noah admitted. "It's for you to figure out and me to find out, Riley."