20 - Blessing

There were only a few days left of school before summer ended

Noah was anxiously waiting for the summer to start so he could go to Boston to spend it with Dean.

He sat with Lucas and Farkle in the hallway.

Noah was beginning to warm up to Lucas. 

Lucas wasn't as bad as he thought he was.

"Girls have it easy," Farkle said as Noah looked through his backpack.

"Yeah, we gotta do all the asking," Lucas asked.

"All they have to say is no," Farkle said.

"They could say yes," Noah said.

"They could do that?" Farkle asked, shocked. 

"Yeah, they could," Noah said, giving Farkle a look. "How many girls rejected you?"

Farkle laughed nevoursly.

Farkle recomposed himself.

"You know what I was afraid of?" Farkle asked Noah and Lucas.

"Hm?" Noah raised his eyebrow.

"What?" Lucas asked.

"You, Lucas," Farkle said.

"How come?"

"I know we're good friends and all, but I've always considered you a bit of a threat," Farkle admitted. "Just like I know you've always considered me a bit of a threat."

"Yeah, you keep me up at night," Lucas said.

Like always, Noah was just sitting there, as if he didn't matter. Clearly, none of his friends saw him as threatening, not that he wanted them to feel threatened by him. It just left him like he did no matter. 

"But now I realize you're actually the solution to my Riley - Maya dilemma," Farkle continued.

"You know Noah has been sitting here this entire time," Lucas reminded Farkle.

Noah raised his eyebrows.

"Yet, here I am, overlooked," Noah said.

Lucas and Farkle didn't seem to think he was being serious. They must have thought  he must be joking or something.

"I know," Farkle said, "but he never showed any interest in either of them."

"So, I needed to show some sort of interest in either Riley or Maya to solve your Riley - Maya dilemma?" Noah questioned. "You know, if you just found someone else, then you would've have this problem."

"I just never asked one out because I knew it would break the heart of the other," Farkle said.

"What if I ask one of 'em out?" Lucas asked.

"Bye - bye, I get the other one," Farkle said.

"What if Lucas asks one of them out and I ask the other?" Noah asked.

"That's when I find someone else," Farkle said.

"What if I asked the other one?"

"Hello, I get the first one," Farkle said. "How long do you wanna keep doing this?"

"Well, there's only two of them," Lucas said. "And three of us."

"What are we going to do?" Farkle asked.

As much as Noah hated it, but Riley clearly had no interest in him. She had fallen hard for Lucas. She would never see him in the same way she'd see Lucas.