Sworn to Secrecy

Reaction

That night with Tiamat had to have been the worst night since I joined this damn slayer cult, save for almost being shot in the head by the leader once or twice. How long could I keep this up? I’m going to end up getting killed...Knight doesn’t trust me and now that newblood is onto me as well. I kept thinking to myself over and over. My thoughts had been racing the entire night after that meeting.

I walked back to our camp to crawl into my cot, only to be woken up a few minutes later by Knight saying that it had been time to smash the eggs. Please no more…

“Hey, Reaction, come on it’s time to go. It’s early and there will be more dragons swarming around this place.” Knight said shaking me awake.

I groaned. “I’m not feeling the best, Knight.”

“I’m sorry but we need to do this. Unless you want me to report you to the leader, I think you need to come help.”

I sighed and forced myself out of the cot. Karma and Eryx were already ahead. “What time is it?”

“Early enough. Come on or you’re going to miss all the fun.” He said hitting my shoulder playfully. Damn this job…

I sighed sadly. “Fine, let’s get this over with.” I said as I walked ahead to the nest where the dragon had been. Karma tossed a sledgehammer to me with a playful smirk. I watched as Eryx smashed one into pieces. I closed my eyes trying to block the sound.

Knight laughed. “You’re already doing good, newblood!” He said walking to the nest as he did the same. “Save one for Reaction though, she never had the chance last night.” Oh how I wish I was back home…

Eryx sighed all sad-like. “Aw fine. I really wanted to beat Karma’s record.” he said dejected.

I looked to the remaining egg in the nest and then to my hammer. Forgive me, little one… I thought, walking to the nest. My instincts were screaming at me to run, but I couldn’t, they’d give my position away. I’d be killed and then the slayers would be going under the radar again. I closed my eyes as I gripped the hammer and brought it up over my shoulders. I could feel their gazes drilling into my back as I brought the hammer down onto the egg. And just like that...it’s over…

I felt Knight’s hand on my shoulder plate. “You did good, Reaction. Now we can all head back and get some rest.”

I looked to him, forcing a smile. “Rest...sounds amazing right now. But if you don’t mind…I wouldn’t mind washing off this stuff from my face.” I said shyly.

Knight shook his head smiling. “Go ahead. We’ll be packing up.”

I smiled faintly. “Thank you, Knight.” I said as I ran off towards the stream that flowed nearby. I waited until the others had left as I let the cool stream water mix with the hot tears on my cheeks. The palace needs to know… They need to know that this group is beyond saving… I thought as I looked back towards our camp. I’ll make sure they won’t be saved…