Epilogue

Eryx

The year went by in a flash. Tiamat had our first child, Talia. I wouldn’t lie, they looked so cute together.

The others had eventually left the palace, after they had made sure that we’d be ok on our own. They had told us they were going to seek a home in a dragon village that we had never heard of, deep in the mountains. Perhaps one day...we could visit.

I was sitting outside on our balcony, watching the sunrise boredly. The place could have used a bit of life to it on the early mornings, not even the dragons were up.

Behind me, I heard footsteps approaching. Looking back, I saw Tiamat right out of bed, sit next to me. "What are you doing up so early, darling?”

I shook my head, breaking myself out of my daydream. I looked back to her. Radiant as ever… I thought to myself smiling. “I couldn’t sleep. I felt like watching the sun rise before it lit up your features.” I said with a kind smile. “Is Talia asleep still?”

She smiled softly and kissed my cheek, "mhm, she's in our bed...cutie had a nightmare," she said as she hugged her knees. The gold wedding band on her hand illuminated in the light in all the right places.

I smiled slightly and put an arm around her. “It’s a shame she hasn’t found a friend here yet...We should let her meet the dragons today.”

She nodded in agreement, "yea, she's such a lively child." she said with a smile.

I chuckled and kissed her temple. “We’ll find her a good friend. Who knows which child she’ll become attached to.”

Behind us a the was a faint patter of footsteps. "Mamaaa papaaaa." a soft voice cooed.

I looked behind to see Talia. I smiled softly. “Hey, cutie. C’mere you.”

She smiled brightly and ran over. Tiamat had once said she looked like me.

I smiled and picked her up, pulling her onto my lap. “I heard my poor baby had a nightmare. I guess you’ll be staying with me tonight so that the bad dreams will stay away.”

She cuddled me and nodded, "I like staying with you and mama," she said with a smile.

I looked up to see Tiamat watching the both of us. She looked happy, I was glad for that.

I chuckled and kissed her head. “We’re gonna let you meet the baby dragons today.” I said with a smile.

She smiled excitedly and nodded. “Mama said we can go to the village, papa,” she said with her easy grin still on her face.

I shook my head smiling. “Sure we can, girlie. Let your mama get dressed.”

Tiamat shook her head, smiling. “It’s a little too early right now, munchkin.”

“Aw, ok...I can wait,” she said as she bounced on my lap.

I chuckled and held her close. Such a tiny ball of energy… “We’ll go to the kitchen and get some breakfast alright?”

“Food...I like food…” She gasped like she thought of something else. “I like lava cakes even more, yea yea, I want that with my cereal.”

Tiamat laughed from beside me, We’ll see, only if you’re good, ok?”

She stilled on my lap and gave us her best innocent smile. “I can be good.”

I smiled. “Oh?” I asked and tickled her.

She laughed and cuddled me. “I love you, papa.”

“I love you too, cutie. Let’s get some lava cake now.” I said with a smile getting up and holding her close. I looked to Tiamat, “We’ll meet you in the kitchens, love.” I said smiling.

She smiled and nodded as she got up beside me and took my other hand. “Shall we, darling?”

I took her hand and kissed her cheek. “Of course, beautiful.”

She kissed my cheek, still smiling. Talia squirmed in my arm and covered her eyes. “Stoppppp,” she whined.

I chuckled. “You’ll be doing the same thing when you’re older, child.” She better not grow too fast…

“Ew...boys are gross…” she murmured.

I chuckled and shook my head. “We too stinky for you? Or is it our cooties?” I asked chuckling. “Maybe I’ll have to eat that lava cake of yours.”

“Noooooo” she whined, putting her hands on my face, “don’t eat it, it’s mineee.”

I laughed and kissed her nose. “Oh alright, I can let you eat some lava cake.”

She smiled and nodded. “Ok, papa. Let’s go, pleaseee.”

“Alright, girlie. I get first bite on that cake.” I said walking to the kitchens with them.