chapter 22

Skolris stuffed a piece of chicken in her mouth, savoring the first decent meal she has had in three days. It was her fourth day stuck in this miserable hospital and nobody had paid much attention to her, which was a good thing. She was pretty sure that her wounds had healed because she could move around without anything burning. But, the doctors wouldn't let her leave. So, Skolris did what she did best, stare and daydream.

     There was finally a creek from the door for once, Skolris was relieved to have someone to talk to. But, when she lifted her head, the people in the doorway weren't the ones who she expected. Their were two tall, well muscled men with bows attached to their belts. They wore black and blue outfits and a golden badge.

     Skolris panicked, am I in trouble with the police? Did i do something wrong? What are they here for? One of the men strode in and regarded her skinny frame. "This is Skolris?" He asked skeptically. The other shrugged and stepped in to.

     The first officer reached behind him and pulled out a set of hand cuffs. Skolris recoiled,"I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING! WHY AM I IN TROUBLE? WHAT DID I DO WRONG?" she shouted in a frightened voice. The officer scowled,"you are a danger to the public, young lady. And until we figure out what to do with you, your arrested." He said gruffly.

     Skolris could feel goosebumps appear on her arm and a chill fill her body. What will mother say? He cane closer to her but stop in his track when a loud  noise blasted their ears. At first, Skolris couldn't figure out what is was until she felt the shockwave rattle her bones. It was nearby, a bomb.

     Another one? All three of them stared in silence for a couple of seconds before the first cop ran towards her. Skolris easily dodged and shifted into a silver wolf. She acted like a normal werewolf and the cop stopped. "She wouldn't turn into a weak little wolf in this situation.. are you sure this is really her?" He asked uncertainly. But this wasn't Skolris's main focus.

     While they were distracted, She broke the window and shifted wings before jumping out and gliding towards the noise. She checked the first place that came to mind, and she was right. It was in the place that she loved. The place where she grew up. The place where all her memories were held. But now, it was destroyed. Broken. Burned.

     She stared down at the place she used to call home. It was no longer there, except for half of the house, which was the back. Skolris cried tears as she shot through the now dark grey sky. She rushed down from the sky. Firemen and cops were all ready there, putting out the fire of the remainder of her house.

     She beat her wings faster until she was just above her home and dove downward. She didn't care about who saw her. All Skolris could think about is how she didn't see her mother among the onlookers who were just outside. She ran inside the last bit of her house.

     The smoke stung her eyes and burned her nose, but Skolris didn't care. She searched everywhere inside of the house and she began to loose hope. But then, Skolris spotted a small furry green-grey body. She hesitantly walked towards and her eyes widened when she realized what it was. It was Juja, her mother's bond. It's fur was blackened and clumped with blood. Skolris already knew that the tiny lemur was dead.

     She plucked Juja up in her mouth and padded sadly to the open half of the house. Then, she carried it over to one of the cops and dropped it at their feet before running back in. Not letting the poor bond burn would be the right thing to do.

     She continued to make her way, half blinded from the smoke, around her destroyed home. She dodged burning pieces of wood and red hot steel. Where is she? Skolris finally made it to the kitchen, where her mother usually was for most of the day. She could also just hear other people entering the house.

     She barely navigated through the kitchen. She walked slowly around the central counter and a gasp escaped her mouth. She could see a slender shape collapsed on the ground. Skolris shifted back into a human and ran over to her mother.

     "Mom! Mom? Can you here me?" She cried. There was no response and Skolris tried again. This time, she shook her gently, her face reddening from tge heat. Her mother's eyes barely cracked open to see her daughter's face. "Skol-ris, you.. need to... lea-ve... go now.. and save.. your-self." She whispered. Skolris broke into another batch if tears.

     "No, mother i can't leave you. Not in a million years." She cried. Her hands trembled as she held on to her mother, hoping that if she held on tight enough, her life woulnd't leave. A part of the roof fell, burnibg and hot, behind them along with more.

     "Skolris, leave... me behind... and save... yourself. Please... i won't last.. any longer.. but you.. will. Go!" Her mother begged, the light in her eyes beginning to fade. "No, mother! Please, don't go.. I won't go! I need you." She whispered.

     Skolris could hear rusty voices suddenly, just barely, under the crackle if the fire."hey, there are people back here!" She could hear heavy footsteps and sense another presence by their side. She could see somebody carry her mother and a but after, somebody wrapped their arms around her and carried her out.

     Sunshine stung her eyes as they exited the house. There were many people around now. They all stared at the broken home. She could see her mother being swept away in an ambulance.

     Skolris was set down on something metallic. "Hey, are you ok?" A tall woman asked. Skolris nodded her head and just watched her mother be driven off. "My mom..." she whispered.

     The woman next to her stopped rummaging through a bag and turned towards Skolris, a sad look clouding her eyes. "My mom... she needs me..." Skolris whispered again. She stood and stepped a few paces from where she was sitting. "What do you think your doing?" The woman asked. Skolris ignored her and all the other people around.

     She focused on the same silver wolf but with no wings this time. Then, she started to run. Skolris didn't know where they were headed but she took the path where she thought they were going.

      She could hear someone chasing after her on their bond but she grew wings and leapt into the air. From where she was, Skolris could see the ambulance and she followed it. It stopped at the same hospital that Skolris was just at and she landed just beside it. She watched them bring her out on a stretcher and rush in through the doors.

     Skolris walking in right before the door shut but she was to late when the the stretcher appeared behind another set of doors. She ignored the stares she got from other people and shifted back into a human and opened the doors.

     Skolris was probably not supposed to be in here but she walked in anyways and eventually found where her mom was. One doctor exited the room and Skolris ran up to him."hiw us she. How is my mother?" She asked quickly.

     The doctor crouched down so he watched her height. His face was solemn. He sighed,"I'm afraid we were to late. Your mother.. is... dead."