five

»»————-  ————-««

»»————-  ————-««

Going to visit the Chancellor was not what Aleta had planned for that day. Well, she wasn't going to visit him exactly, but she was going to go change his bandages, as per Abby's request. Why Abby didn't do it herself was a mystery. She knocked on the door to the room and then entered without waiting for a reply.

"Good afternoon, Chancellor," Aleta greeted him. Chancellor Jaha turned his head to look at the girl. "You're not Abby," he said. Aleta suppressed the urge to roll her eyes.

"No, I'm Aleta Correia," she said. The Chancellor chuckled softly and then coughed. "I know who you are. You're one of Wells' friends, aren't you?" He said.

Aleta shook her head, "We're not really friends. He was friends with my friend, Clarke. But we hung out sometimes." The Chancellor nodded, "I see."

"I'm just gonna change your bandages now," she said as she took out fresh gauze and surgical tape. "Are you sure you're qualified to do that?" He asked her seriously.

Aleta scowled at him. "I'm here, aren't I?" She asked in annoyance. She was sick of people doubting her abilities and undermining her. Yes she was young but she wouldn't have been there if she didn't meet certain qualifications. Besides, changing bandages wasn't a difficult thing to do.

The two said no more and Aleta changed his gauze. "Do you know who shot you?" She blurted after a while. It was her attempt at small talk. Thinking back, she probably should've asked something like, "how're you feeling?" But sometimes Aleta didn't think things through. The Chancellor's eyes met hers briefly before he looked away.

"That's none of your business," he said. Aleta nodded her head. "You're right, it's not. It's just that, secrets have a way of getting revealed. And the council has been keeping a lot of things from us lately. And I'm not the only one that hates secrets. Plenty of people on the Ark hate secrets. So imagine what they'll think, if they find out that you sent one hundred prisoners to the ground," Aleta responded to his remark.

Chancellor Jaha's eyes widened considerably. "How do you know about that?" He asked her in shock. She shrugged her shoulders. "I guess you could say a little birdy told me," she answered simply. The man's eyes narrowed and he sighed. "Why do you even want to know?" He asked and she shrugged again. "Just curious," she answered honestly.

"Is this why you came here? To find out who shot me?" The Chancellor asked . Aleta shook her head, "I came here because Abby asked me to."

"You won't tell anyone what you know," he denied shaking his head. "Maybe not. But, is that a risk you're willing to take? I've been told that I'm pretty unpredictable," she replied. "It's reasons like this that people like you get hurt. You never know how to mind your own business," he muttered, eyes fixed on her.