Thank God for thick walls

Sam had been trying to get Steve to talk for hours, trying to find out what spooked the poor guy. Steve refused to speak, only shaking his head. Eventually, Sam gave up, deciding it best to just take Steve back to the hotel and let him sleep it off. They got back to the hotel just as the sun began to set, giving it a beautiful, naturally dimmed light. He knew that the view of the orange sky would calm the massive man-child next to him, who was desperately clinging to his arm.

"Let's get you to bed, buddy." He smiled softly, knowing that the smallest of things could remind him of his past and cause him to get home sick - or time sick - or whatever the fuck you call it. Steve nodded, an action so small and timid that he almost looked like the Steve from before the 1940s. The elevator ride up to their rooms wasn't too long, but because of the constant and heavy silence between them it felt like it lasted forever. One thing Sam didn't get about this holiday was: how the hell did Nat afford it? The holiday itself had to be expenxcive, but then she went and booked them both of the presidential suits! He tried not to think too much about how she got the money, he probably didn't want to know. Everyone had learned not to question her. He decided just to get Steve and himself back to their rooms. They arrived at what was supposed to be Steve and Tony's room. "Steve, you got the key?" He asked quietly, trying not to startle the soldier and be respectful to those who may be sleeping. His mind wandered to Tony and Bucky. 'Where the hell have they got to?' He thought to himself briefly. As much as he hated to admit it he really did care for both men. They had both come to his aid when he needed them. Steve silently looked up at him and nodded again, pulling a small key card from his pocked and unlocking the door. As the door drifted open, it was Sam's turn to go into shock. What they saw was not necessarily what they wanted to see. This would probably haunt them for the rest of their lives. They gently pulled the door closed, silently making their way to Sam and Bucky's room. They sat down, almost robotically, and grabbed two bottles of wine out from the mini fridge. They didn't even bother with glasses as they drank away their shock. The silence lasted for almost three hours. Sam was the first to break it.

"Is that...?" He didn't even need to finish his question with proper words for Steve to know what he was asking him.

"Yep." He answered faintly, his voice cracking slightly. He scrunched his face up as he took another long swig of wine.

"Oh my." Was the only response that Sam's brain could even begin to put into words. The silence took back over as they started staring at nothing again, before Sam muttered: "Thank God for thick walls."