Chapter 13: Getting Close

Lauryn P.O.V.

It was a few days after Christmas and I was spending some quality time with Chris at my house. I was at my seven month mark on Christmas and was beginning to finish my preparations. My mother was still somewhat disappointed and had me on close watch, but she was beginning to warm up as I started buying items and putting together my hospital bag. She was also happy to finally see me being with my child's father.

Over the past few weeks, Chris and I had been talking about what I should do with the baby. He wanted to see our child as much as possible and didn't want us separated but that was kind of difficult due to the fact that his other baby mother was still living in his house.

I knew nothing about the woman, except for her name. I don't even think she knows about me. Which was kind of okay, because I didn't want anything to happen to me or my baby and I know how petty baby mamas can be towards one another.

"Ms. Rodriguez," Chris said to my mother as she walked back out from putting my younger sister to sleep.

"Yes, Christoper?" she asked with a raised eyebrow and her arms crossed as she sat on the love-seat in the other end of the living room. She always made sure to call him by his formal, first name.

"The due date is coming up pretty quickly and I want to be there for your daughter."

"Of course," my mother answered in agreement.

"But after the baby comes is what I'm worried about." I looked over to him unsure of what he was talking about now.

"What is there to worry about?" she asked, raising her eyebrow again.

"Well, what I'm trying to say...or ask...is..." He struggled to find correct words.

"Chris?" I said, placing a hand on his chest, still confused as to what he was trying to say.

"How would you feel about Lauryn and the baby moving in with me? I found this great place, not too far from here, in a great neighborhood, and--"

"Absolutely not!" she shouted as I gasped.

"Chris, what are you doing?" I whispered under my breath.

He ignored me. "Ms. Rodriguez, I swear to you that I will--"

She shook her head rapidly. "Nope, nada, absolutely not. End of story, Christopher. My child and my grandchild need the best possible environment to be in and that's here, with me."

"Nadia..." he began.

"Do not even start Christopher! She is still a little girl. She is 17! You are 21, mister. You're lucky I'm even allowing this!" she said, flailing her hands in the air.

"I will be 18 next month Mami," I threw in.

She shot me an evil eye. "Don't you get bag ideas either, missy!" she yelled at me.

"Mami, Aña is sleeping. Please," I told her.

She put her head down into her hands and began humming. After a few moments of silence, Chris spoke. "Ms. Rodriguez. Please hear me out. I know this is a lot. We're all trying to figure this out and carry on in the best way possible. I would not being asking this if I did not have the best intentions in mind. I promise you that. I care for your daughter and I care for this baby. I will do everything in my right mind to provide them with any and everything they need."

She hummed some more before lifting her head up and looking Chris dead in the eye.
"Show me the place," she said.