Chapter 8- The Fight and The Terrible Phone Call [Toby's POV]

I was sitting on my couch with Gryphon waiting for Cassie to show up, when I heard a car pull up.

   I got off the couch and walked to the kitchen window to look out. I saw Cassie's blue Mustang and almost walked to the door to greet her, but I didn't want to seem desperate.

   So I went to the cupboard to get some glasses and poured some coffee for Cass and I. I hope she likes coffee.

   I was putting the cups on the table when I heard a knock at my front door. Then Gryphon ran to the door and starting barking and jumping.

   "Gryphon! Shut your stupid little mouth!" I yelled in my Gryphon voice, opening the door.

   "Cassie" I said looking her up and down.

   She looked beautiful. She was wearing a big knitted sweater, ripped skinny jeans, combat boots, and her hair was curled around her face and flowed down her back.

   She was also wearing big, red rimmed glasses that I didn't know she wore.

   'I didn't know you wore glasses" I said stepping aside to let her in.

   "I prefer my contacts, but I didn't feel like putting them on when I woke up" she said coming in.

   She walked to into the living room, sat on the couch, and starting petting Gryphon, who had jumped on her lap.

   "He must really like you. He doesn't normally take to people that quickly" I said rubbing my neck.

   "Cool" she said flatly.

   "Really? This is how you're gonna be now?" I asked getting frustrated.

   "Well, I only talk to FRIENDS and family nicely and since we're neither, according to you, then I'm not going to talk to you nicely" she said angrily.

   "Cassie! You know I was drunk and I didn't mean anything I said!" I screamed.

   "No Toby! I don't know that! I don't know you! We're not friend apparently!" she screamed back.

   "Stop throwing that in my fucking face! I was drunk and stupid! Of course we're friends!" I yelled.

   "Really Toby? What's my favorite color? Favorite food? Favorite band? Choice in music? Am I a cat person or a dog person? You don't know anything about me and I don't know anything about you!" she yelled back.

    "So I'll learn those things and you can learn those things about me. I want to be friends be with you" I said looking at her.

   "I'm sorry Toby, but I can't be friends with you" she said looking away.

  "What? Why?" I asked frantically.

   But before she could answer, her phone started ringing.

   "Mom?" she asked.

   She listened for a couple seconds, then her face went white and she just started balling.

   "Should I come to see him?" she asked through tears.

   I was starting to get worried. I mean something was obviously wrong.

   "Ok... No I have a friend I'm with... Yes I'll ask... No I don't want to be alone... Ok mom... Love you too. Tell dad I love him. Bye" she said still crying.

   She hung up, her phone away, and looked at me through tear soaked eyes.

   I walked over to the couch, sat down, and pulled put my arms around her, pulling her into my chest.

   She actually called me a friend to her mom and that made me feel incredible.

   She must've been really upset too cause she didn't pull away and she just started sobbing into my chest.

   "What happened Cassie? Why are you crying?" I asked concerned.

   "My mom called and told me that my step-dad was in an accident. He's in critical condition and might not make it" she said starting to cry harder.

   "Hey. It's ok. I'm sure he'll be fine" I tried to reassure her.

   Well I wasn't expecting that and I actually felt tears staring to form in my eyes.

*So I know that was a sad chapter, but what do you guys think of what happened to her Step-dad?

I had actually been planning this part since I started this story.

I wanted some drama and stick around because something happens between them in the next chapter and there's more drama to come.