Chapter One

"Now, who can tell me the reason why we need to be precise in our wording when it comes to meetings and letters?"

Evangeline's hand shot upward and everyone groaned in annoyance.

"Evangeline?" the instructor called.

"Because if we do not use the proper wording for such things, then there is a large possibility of miscommunication, which may or may not hurt either country or person," Evangeline answered proudly, her voice as soft as silk, like her mother's.

"Good. That's one of our basic duties. Making sure that there are no miscommunications involved and making sure that everything is in proper order before we make anything official," the instructor said.

There was a knock at the door and Scribe-Master George entered. "Sorry to disturb you, but Lady Alyss would like to see her granddaughter in her office," he said. The instructor nodded as Evangeline stood, turning to the door with her school things.

As Evangeline followed George through the halls, she held her head high, knowing that she wouldn't miss anything in that class. Or in any of her classes for that matter.

George stopped before a random door in the hallway, then knocked.

"Come in," called a voice from the inside.

George opened the door to admit Evangeline, then left them to their business.

"Evangeline," said Alyss. "Your scores are as excellent as your father's when he was your age. You know what that means, don't you?"

Evangeline nodded. "Yes, my lady," she answered. "It means I have a chance of getting The Choice, like my father."

Lady Alyss nodded. "That's right. You are very skilled in all subjects, but the one you are most skilled in is Foreign Policies. I believe you would be better on the field rather than stuck in a room in Castle Araluen," she explained.

Evangeline sat in one of the seats across from Lady Alyss. "I understand," she replied.

"Good. I just wanted you to be aware of your potential, regardless of what your father says about it," Alyss continued.

"What does my father say about my potential?"

"He says I should keep the knowledge of it a secret until you are ready to receive The Choice. I feel that you are fully entitled to it, but I warn you not to let it go to your head. You know what happens to those who are arrogant, correct?"

"Yes, my lady."

"Very well. If your father comes asking you if I've said anything to you concerning your education, I ask you to deny it. His temper is outrageous these days and if he finds out that I spoke to you, he will never trust me again."

Evangeline smiled. "I understand. If he comes to me asking about this, I will say no. You can trust me not to let it slip from my tongue."

Alyss relaxed her shoulders and sighed. "Good."

Evangeline rose, knowing that her grandmother would dismiss her from the office.

"I sense I don't need to say that you are dismissed from my office?" Alyss asked.

Evangeline smiled as she shook her head. "No, my lady. I will go now and hopefully see you tomorrow," she replied.

"Yes." Alyss waved her hand toward the door.

Evangeline went to the door, but her passage was interrupted by Alyss. "Oh, and one more thing. Your father may have you mentor some of the other first-year students who are falling behind."

Evangeline turned to her grandmother with a pout. "But, grandma..." she started.

Alyss shook her head. "It's not my decision Evie. But, believe me, if it was, I wouldn't have you do that sort of thing," the older woman interrupted.

Evangeline sighed, but nodded, not wanting to get into an argument with her grandmother, who would clearly outwit her by a landslide. "Yes, my lady," she said.

"Good. Now you may go."

With that, Evangeline left the room and found her way back to the classroom, her mind resuming its normal procedure of the classroom.