Chapter Fifteen

Evangeline heard the call for her to come out from under the bed and cautiously obeyed.

There was no one else but the guard who let her go. He held her bruised arms gently, taking care for her trauma and injuries. "When you get out there, I want to to head straight for the gate, there shouldn't be any guards out there to stop you, but prepare for anything," he told her.

She could only nod. She had no other options and her life was at stake.

He quietly ushered her from the tent and she crouched the second she was out and made her way toward the gate.

A hand seized her arm and she looked into the eyes of a familiar face.

"Anastasio!" she cried.

"Hello, my darling," he replied.

She gulped and was dragged off to the center of the camp again. He loomed over her, his face hidden with the light of the moon coming from behind him. "You have tried only twice, but that is twice too many, my pet," he turned to another guard. "Get the one who released her!"

The guard was dragged in and thrown next to her. She tried to escape while they were gone, but the collar of her dress was yanked on and she was dragged back to the center. 

The back of her dress was torn open and the whole camp was filled with the clanging of metal, the lashing of whips and the screams of their victims. 

Evangeline was then beaten while the friendly guard was forced to watch. He struggled against the grip of his comrades. She screamed and struggled as well against Anastasio's fists.  When he was finished, she hung limp, holding the arm that held her dress collar, with her mouth and nose bleeding and her eye blackened. She stared at the friendly guard, begging for help with her eyes. 

"Did you really think you could hide her from me?" Anastasio questioned. 

The guard didn't say anything as Anastasio tied both of them to two separate poles. 

Evangeline hung her head and stayed silent for the rest of the night.