Chapter Three

A young girl, blonde and tall, woke to find Evangeline's bed unmade and her school things left open and out. Weird, she thought, she usually cleans up before she goes anywhere. She shrugged and went over to the bed to clean up Evangeline's things. She saw a note on the bed and looked around. Her other roommates were fast asleep, so she picked it up gently and read it, thinking Evangeline left a note as to where she went.

She was surprised to find that that was not the case. She gasped and ran towards Head Mistress Pauline's office. She knocked on the door and waited before her secretary answered. "May I help you?" she asked.

"Yes. I found a note on Evangeline's bed. She's missing," the young courier apprentice said.

The secretary paused for a moment before leaving to get Lady Pauline. A few moments later, Pauline appeared and held out her hand for the note. She skimmed the document and directed the courier inside. "Come inside."

Once inside Pauline grabbed out her quill and began to write. Once she was finished she grabbed an envelope from one side of her desk and the wax and stamp from another side. "Isabelle, I want you to deliver these two documents to Alysster Treaty at Castle Araluen. He needs to see this as soon as possible, understand?" she said.

Isabelle nodded her understanding. "Yes, my lady," she replied.

"Good," Pauline checked the ink to see if it was wet before folding it and placing it in the envelope with the note found on Evangeline's bed, "Now, hurry. We want her found as soon as possible." Pauline handed her the documents and the young courier apprentice ran down the hall as fast as she could.

She packed up for a two-day trip, one there and one trip back. After she was done, she quickly saddled up her horse and took off toward Castle Araluen.

It was a long ride, but she made it to the castle. She approached the front doors but was stopped by the guards. "State your name and business here," said one of them.

"My name is Isabelle and I have urgent business with Alysster Treaty," Isabelle told them. They let her through and she eventually found her way to Alysster's office, with a sleeping secretary. She knocked on the door and waited.

"Come in," said a gentle voice. It sounded a lot like Lady Alyss, Isabelle noted. She peeked her head in, still a little breathless. "Sorry to disturb you, sir, but I have upsetting news for you," she said.

Alysster held up a hand. "Where is my secretary?" he asked simply, "he should have announced you."

"Your secretary is asleep. I didn't want to disturb him when I have a feeling that his sleep is much needed," Isabelle explained. She curtseyed. "My name is Isabelle and I come with news from Redmont's School for Couriers."

Alysster cocked his head to the side. "What's wrong with the school?" he questioned.

"It's not the school itself, sir. It involves the school." Isabelle handed him the envelope and he quickly slit it open. He read the contents to himself since he could tell Isabelle was still a student and not supposed to read important documents like this. He instantly recognized the handwriting as Lady Pauline's, the headmistress at the school.

Dear Alysster,

I'm afraid to present this sad news to you, but your daughter has gone missing. The following document is a letter one of Evangeline's roommates found on her bed. Read it carefully and I hope you will be able to understand what the contents mean.

As far as I know, Evangeline was last seen in her room yesterday, before someone asked for her at the door. She has not been seen since. I am sorry, Alysster.