Chapter Two: Spark of Light

Andy walked through the front door where he lived, slamming it behind him. He was trying to out-run Shawn. Not that he was following him, Andy just didn't want him knowing his address.

"Andy, is that you?" His mother asked from the kitchen.

"Yeah mom. Sorry I'm late," Andy made his way up to his way.

He got in and closed the door, slipping off his backpack that fell to the carpet. He fell straight into bed, ingulfing the familiar, soft feel of the mattress. Andy felt so exhausted. What was supposed to be a good day had been one of the worse. Andy's phone chimed, digging in his pocket to retrieve his phone. It was a message from Marilyn.

Marilyn: Hey, you were acting rlly weird at lunch today. R U okay?

Andy: Wasn't feeling well, that lunch was weird. Thanks.

Andy heard his phone chime again.

Marilyn: What did U think of Shawn?

Andy: Not my type.

He turned off the phone , sighing as he tossed it over his head and onto the mattress. He ignored the annoying noise it made, knowing that it was Marilyn, probably trying to convince him that he can't stay single forever.

A part of him, some part of him knew she was right. But she was wrong, because Andy's forever had already began and ended within the previous summer. And on that summer day, walking on the beach, Andy knew his forever was right in front of him; that smile, his smile, it ruined everything.

A knocked startled his thoughts, causing them to scatter. "Andy, are you okay?" His mother asked through the door.

"I'm fine, Mom," he said back.

"Well, okay. Dinner will be ready soon so wash-up." Andy heard his mother's footsteps as she left. He suddenly heard a song by Dexys Midnight Runners. "Come on Eileen. (What he means:) you mean everything!..." played on his phone. He picked up his phone, the caller I.D. telling him it was Marilyn calling. With a heavy sigh, Andy turned off his cellphone exiting his room.

"So how was school?" Said Mr. Miller, cutting up roast beef on a plate in front of him. "Andy?"

"It was fine," Andy replied.

"Well surely something interesting had to happen," Mrs. Miller said, then taking a sip from her glass.

'Yeah, my ex-boyfriend came back to haunt me and ruin my life for the second time', is what Andy wanted to say, but instead said, "Nope. Same old boring school."

"Rose, how about you?" Andy's father turned to Rosemary, sitting at the end. But she didn't reply, her hands under the table, something interesting taking her undivided attention.

"Rose, are you on your phone?" Asked Mrs. Miller.

Finally, she looker up, glancing at everyone. "What?"

"Give me your phone, Rose. You know the rules; no phones at the table," Mr. Miller held out his hand.

"But dad!" She whined.

He held his stare, not batting an eye. Eventually, Rosemary sighed, giving her father the phone. "It used to work," she said.

"Yeah, when you were five," Andy said under his breath.

"Oh, you want to play? Guess who just came into town?" Rosemary grinned. It reminded Andy of something evil.

"Don't, Rosemary," Andy said.

"No, I want to know. Who is it, Rosemary?" Mrs. Miller asked.

"Yeah, who?" Said his dad.

"May I be excused?" Andy was beginning to get up.