Chapter Five: A Familiar Tune

There was something that Andy could only describe as ringing; it carried a certain familiar tune, one played before, but it's been too long to know exactly what it is. But after school, Andy would feel a sudden cluster of stars softly implode in his chest. It made his ears ring that sweet tune he's played before, and the only cure for that ringing was to block it with another tune. So Andy spent most nights in his room, blasting his MP3 player with the sound of love songs--from then and now. He found Derek's face every time he closed his eyes, and starting to figure out why. But he'll never admit it, at least, not yet.

Mr. Miller and Mrs. Miller were cleaning up. Mr. Miller over the sink, rinsing out the used plates, handing them to his wife--once the muck had disappeared--to dry them off and store them in the dishwasher. That's when they both heard the emanated sound of music, slow and soft. They both looked up to the ceiling with curious faces, the source coming from above them.

"What's that?" Asked Mr. Miller, looking at his wife.

"I believe that is--" listening, her head bobbing with the flow of the beat, sounding familiar to her, "Chicago, The Inspiration."

"Well, at least it's good music," Mr. Miller finished rinsing the last dish, handing it over.

"That it is," grabbing the dish, putting it inside the dishwasher.

There was a moment of silence--except for the running water and the music that played from Andy's room; "the kind of love to last forever.."

"Do you think it's Shawn?"

Mrs. Miller smiled, a silly question, she thought.

"What? Did I say something funny?"

"Never assume love. But, I hope it is him that has Andy like this," She said, loading another plate.

"Oh.. Okay."

Another moment of silence.

"How long more will he be like this?"

Mrs. Miller chuckled, a pity nod as she loaded the last dish in the machine, leaving her husband clueless as he kept asking what was so funny.

Andy lied on his bed, staring up at the popcorn ceiling while the music drowned out that ringing; It tasted familiar. Andy barely tried to recognize the taste, getting lost in the music.

They didn't kiss again, in fact, they rarely made eye contact after Derek's stunt. But their friendship had grown stronger each day.

For once, after what happened last summer and what has been happening, Andy felt relieved from life's cruelties, and saw a stray of hope. Andy lied on his bed remembering the last few days.

Derek even began leaving notes in his locker during school, so when he opened it, a card with a compelling compliment dropped on the floor.

"You have the brightest smile," one of the cards said. Andy would pick it up, read the message and place it inside of the front pocket of his backpack.

Andy knew they felt something for each other, and yet, his actions remained silent like a library. He was feeling again, and that scared him to death.

Andy was tired of being afraid, so he grabbed his phone sitting on the nightstand, calling Derek.

"Hey, it's Andy... Yeah, everything is okay, just wanted to see if you wanted to hang out or something... That's great! I-I mean, cool," his chuckle was shakey. "So, this Saturday then? Great, I'll see you tomorrow!" Andy hung up, finally able to breathe.

Andy flopped backward on his bed, with a goofy smile, he listened to the music and that familiar tune in his chest went a decibel higher.

_______________________________

Author's Note: Hey, guys. Sorry for the short chapters, but this story will have many chapters like this one. But most will be fair length.

Alright, that's it. Hope you enjoyed. Be sure to hit that little star icon, and leave me some feed back if you have any questions, or just want to say hello, that's fine with me. Next chapter will be published soon!