Chapter Twelve: The Ride

He looked out the window, looking, but not actually looking. He needed a reason to not look at Shawn, to not stare into his eyes and look beyond that free mind of his. Freedom, Andy thought, what a wonderful thing. He kept to his own thoughts and not the ones about them together; he was too angry to make this about them. But wasn't it always about them? Andy only muttered directions to his house and Shawn nodded. Andy broke that silence when it began eating out his brain, unable to think.

"The notes," he said.

Shawn took a second to look at him. "What–"

Andy gave him a sharp look, one that begged for the truth.

"Yes. That was me." Shawn made a left.

"Why?" Asked Andy.

"You know why, Andy."

Andy felt his heart skip a beat when he heard Shawn say his name. He swallowed, going down hard, not digesting in his stomach.

"No, Shawn. You know why. I'm just a clueless guy, who wishes he never would understand." Andy finally looked at him, but looked away when Shawn almost caught his glance.

"Why?"

"It's easier that way. Trust me."

"I'm afraid I don't trust you, Andy. You're going to parties, fighting with friends. That's not you." Shawn stated.

"Yeah, well, people change." Andy replied.

"Then what is it? Your mad? You're mad at me?" Shawn badgered.

"Yes, Shawn! I'm mad at you! Because everything is always about Shawn Lowe! You broke up with me when I wanted to stay together! But poor you, couldn't do a long distance relationship. Face it, Shawn, you have no commitment! You were even willing to give up surfing for me!"

"Because I wouldn't be able to feel this!" While driving, Shawn reached his hand out and put it on Andy's hand. "But I realized something, Andy: no matter how far away I am from you, I will never stop loving you. There's no distance I wouldn't travel to see you."

Shawn looked at Andy every few seconds, trying to focus on the road. Andy felt numb, taking his hand away from Shawn's. This night kept getting worse, wanting it to end. Shawn put his hand back on the wheel.

He stopped at Andy's house, where they both just sat in his car, waiting for something. Shawn and Andy didn't know what to expect, so Shawn said the only thing he could.

"I'm sorry."

"Thanks for the ride home." Andy said, getting out, he slammed the door. He quickly ran inside.