Chapter Eight: Unfinished Business

It was no secret that Andy Miller is gay to the school. So it was no surprise to everyone when they saw Andy holding hands with Derek, but surprised to see Derek holding Andy's. No one minded Andy being gay, never throwing sharp looks or awkward situations. But when he walked in, lots of people seemed surprised. Neither Derek or Andy seemed to care, both of them smiling as they strolled.

"Alright, this is me," Andy said, pulling away.

They stopped, both of them having to part because of class, only having one class together.

"See you at lunch." Derek and Andy pecked each other on the lips, then parted.

As Andy walked to his locker, he passed Shawn, who was looking down, but glanced up to meet his eyes. Andy didn't smile, or frown as a bitter memory formed inside his head when he saw what Shawn was holding in his hand. It was a book. Andy's favorite book. Filthy Casuals.

Andy pierced his lips shut, wanting to same something. What he saw as a bitter memory only opened itself to be sweet-but he'll never admit it. Andy looked at the ground, ignoring Shawn's presence as if he were a ghost; a soul left with unfinished business. Unfinished business, thought Andy. Perhaps that's why seeing Shawn always made him feel uneasy, the slightest memory of them when they were together triggering emotions he couldn't comprehend. He needed closure.

When Andy opened his locker a note fell out. He smiled. Another note from Derek. He must have missed this one somehow. He picked it up off the ground and opened it.

"You make everyday beautiful." The note read. Andy smiled, then the bell rang. He tucked it in his backpack and went to class.

* * * * *

Like most days, Andy and Shawn spent their days on the beach. It had been a month since they met, but it's feely like nothing but a week for the both of them. It was early, and the mid July sky was clear from clouds and the sun baked last night's cold sand.

Andy turned the page the to the next page of Filthy Casuals. "I don't understand." Shawn interrupted, chin on Andy's shoulder, arms wrapped around his torso. Shawn had asked Andy to read to him, so Andy picked out his favorite book, and that's what they were doing on this beautiful day.

The waves crashed on the shore. "What don't you get?" Andy asked.

"Why did he have to leave home? Why couldn't he just wait?"

Andy looked up, catching the shadow of a seagull on the sand, watching it soar. "Some people can't wait to be free."

A crescendo of ocean waves crashed, the froth on the shore dissolving-Andy couldn't picture a better day.

"I still don't understand."

Andy chuckled and kissed him on the check, then continued reading.

* * * * *

Marilyn walked in the middle of the cafeteria, a tray in her hands, looking from side to side; Andy was mad at her and Shawn held no interest in talking, and of course she heard the news about Andy and Derek being a thing. More than anything, she wanted to go over there and love Andy and ask him about Derek. Andy caught her gaze, freezing, as if she was a deer caught in the headlights. Andy didn't make any sort of gesture, a dull face. Sher turn away, walking over to Shawn.

"What ya reading?" Marilyn sat.

Shawn peeked up from the book he's reading, giving the book a shake and a smile that said 'isn't it obvious', and he went back to reading after Marilyn nodded. She read the cover and gasped, a look of surprise.

"You read Filthy Casuals?" Marilyn whispered, like it was some kind of secret.

Shawn stopped reading, set down the book. Slowly he said, "Yes."

"That's like, Andy's favorite book." Marilyn's surprised expression hasn't left.

"What a coincidence." Shawn got up, grabbing his book.

"That is not a coincidence! You show up, Andy ditches me and he hates you for a reason still unknown. This is not a coincidence-Shawn Lowe, you have three seconds to tell me what's going on!" Marilyn attracted attention.

From across the room Andy couldn't stop staring Marilyn's movements. She looked mad and Shawn seemed nervous, and people began to stare. Shawn began to pack his things away, but Marilyn had said something to stop him. And that's when Shawn caught him staring, and Marilyn turned around to look, too.

"What's wrong?" Derek grabbed his attention.

"Oh, nothing."

"Who was that guy that was staring at you and why did Marilyn look mad?" Derek asked. He-and everyone else-knew that Andy and Marilyn are- were best friends.

"No idea." Andy went back to eating lunch.

Glancing at him suspiciously, Derek didn't bring it up, not now anyways. But when he did bring it up, Andy refused to talk about it.

"I don't understand, why can't you just tell me what's going on?" Derek asked, up in Andy's room on the bed.

"Because, it's nothing." Said Andy.

"It's obviously something. Why was Marilyn so upset? She's never upset! And I haven't seen the both of you talking lately." Derek gave him a sympathetic look, begging for Andy to just open up.

Sighing, Andy got up and began pacing the room. "I didn't tell you at first because I didn't think it would be a big deal. The fact that I hid it doesn't mean anything. Shawn, that other guy that was sitting with Marilyn, is my ex-boyfriend Shawn"

"Oh. . . I see." Derek didn't know what to say.

"Uh, yeah. I don't know what he's doing here. He's just here." Andy sat down on his bed again.

"I don't care." Derek quickly said, shrugging when Andy looked at him.

"You don't?"

"Why would I? I mean, unless you still like him." Derek chuckled.

"Ha, yeah..." Andy replied, that nervous sweat becoming dry.

"And if he bothers you, let me know and I'll kick his ass. Probably deserves it for breaking up with you." Derek said.

"Actually, I broke up with him." Andy admitted.

"Oh, then that means he still likes you."

"Probably, but it's okay. We aren't friends anyways, so you don't have to worry," Andy replied.

"I don't worry, I trust you," Derek came closer, wrapping an arm around Andy's neck and kissed him on the cheek.

"Thanks. But I think I need to talk to him."

Andy met Derek's eyes. "Why?"

"Unfinished business."