CHAPTER 9

Just as I've slammed the door of my locker shut, I see Xander's face.

"Oh, hey! I didn't really see you there."

"I literally just got here stupid. Your mum didn't say anything about you coming home late?"

"Nahh, she was sleeping herself so I sneaked in."

"Cool. Just wanted to check up on you and thank you again. Man, you're honestly an angel. I really think I'm gonna ace this test."

"I think you're gonna do amazing."

"Thanks. I owe you big time. Anyway, I better be heading towards Jane. It's her birthday in a week and I'm pretending that I don't remember it."

"Why would you even do that to her?"

"You know I like messing around people. Sometimes being fake really ends up for the good."

"Deep shit."

"Yeah, what I actually mean is that I'm going to surprise her, y'know."

"And how so?"

"I dunno. Um, throw a party?"

"That sounds cool."

I'm low-key jealous but that doesn't matter, now does it?

"Maybe I can help with the planning and stuff?"

"Really?"

"Yeah, I'm bored anyway. My mum says I need to pick up hobbies and make my life worthwhile."

"Nahh, you're doing just fine. At least, you're not as bad as me, I'm an actual human representation of a trainwreck."

"Come on, I don't believe you."

"Seriously though. You don't want to be inside my mind. It's a terrible place to live in."

"You know you can always talk about it. You can trust me."

"Yeah. Anyway, I think I had to go. But thanks. Great talk, great talk. Buh-bye."

He clumsily walks away. He tries to be chill and all but I can't help but worry for him. Is he okay?