Scum

It was a very nice meal and everyone had thanked me, mouths full, for it. I was blushing heavily by the time I finished, my stomach fairly satisfied. I set a plate full of food on the floor for Kuro and stood up. I asked for any dirty dishes and walked into the kitchen, filling the sink with warm, soapy water.

Maybe tonight wasn't that bad, Father Naito seemed to have realized that he wouldn't be able to get me alone and given up. I thanked whatever fates held mine and began washing the dishes. Occasionally, I would have someone walk in, plates in hand, which I would take from them. I would laugh when some of them looked guilty, I didn't mind working alone, I was used to it.

I called to see if there were any more dishes to be washed and when I got an answer, I unplugged the drain and dried my hands. Sam called my name and I reappeared from the kitchen, still carrying the towel.

He looked extremely guilty, "I almost wish you didn't do the dishes, because now I feel bad for asking a favor." I waved him off, asking him what he needed. "Well, the wood stack fell over the other day, and I recalled how it was always your chore to make sure we had enough. I didn't want to disturb what ever you had going on there."

I nodded, "yeah, you have to stack it weird, or else it keeps falling. I can do it, I'll just be a few minutes." I started making my way to the stairs, but I was stopped short.

"I'll come and help you, Rin." I breathed in sharply, my eyes following as he rose from his seat and walked up to me, a cane in his hand. I immediately pushed myself flush against the railing, fear gripping my heart.

"B-but don't you have a sore back, sir? And you ran out of pain meds, remember? I can do it, alone, I'll be okay." My eyes darted passed him and I saw Kuro, his ears back as if he was ready to dart toward us.

"No, no, I barely lift a finger around here the way it is, and you shouldn't be doing all the chores, not if you aren't currently living here. I may slow things up a bit, however," he looked back and Yukio nodded his head, "I'll try not to put you guys too far behind."

"Alright, don't work yourself too hard, Father. Have Rin do most of the heavy lifting if you need."

Suddenly, Kuro jumped over his dish, running up to Father and almost jumping up on him. Quickly, I dashed forward to grab the feline before he could sink his claws into him.

Father immediately took a few steps back, "maybe you should leave your cat up here, he doesn't seem too fond of me."

I looked up to see Yukio walked toward me. He reached out and grabbed Kuro by the back of the neck, his eyes flashing in anger. "What is wrong with you, Kuro?!"

Father took a small step forward and I shied away when his cane thudded against the floor next to me, "maybe he's upset that I've taken Shiro's place." I flinched, wishing he wouldn't have said that. I didn't even like him taking Dad's position, so it'd be obvious that the former Paladin's familiar would be upset as well.

"Kuro," Yukio chided, "that's no reason to attack someone. You're definitely staying up here now." My stomach twisted, I'd be alone with him again, and there was no way out of it. I can never escape, and that fact was horrifying.

"Let's go, Rin, before it gets any colder out." I bit my lip and followed a few feet behind. My head was a jumbled mess and I was at a loss, he couldn't possibly try anything outside. What if someone in the street heard him? That didn't stop me from shaking in my shoes, though.

He held the back door open for me and I quietly thanked him, the smell of peppermint candy engulfed me and I desperately tried to keep myself calm, but with each passing moment, I felt myself slipping.