FOUR

CHAPTER 4 | ONE DAY

ROBB Stark marched through his camp with anger in his eyes

ROBB Stark marched through his camp with anger in his eyes. Anyone could see it in his heated gaze. His wife, Freya, was waiting for him in his mother's tent, and – gods, he didn't know what he would say to Catelyn. He was so ... angry. He was so angry that he could tear out his own hair and wouldn't care. His feet smashed into the ground with each step, and Lord Karstark followed beside him.

"Useless, old woman," Karstark grumbled. "What does she know of the troubles of war? Who does she think she is?"

Robb tried to keep his focus ahead as he replied, "I don't know."

"Gods," the lord spat, "this is why women shouldn't be involved in war."

Robb halted his movements. He turned to face the lord beside him and put a hand on his shoulder. "Excuse me?" He quirked a brow upward. "Why would you say that? I may be angry with my mother, but you, my Lord, do not have the right."

"I say it because it's the truth!"

"You know very well how involved Freya Greyjoy is in this war." Robb argued. "She fights beside me in battle, and conducts all our war strategies. Women do belong in this war, and my mother making a wrong decision doesn't change that."

Lord Karstark didn't reply, leaving Robb to continue his walk. "Now, let's find my mother."

Karstark followed his King, but that didn't stop him from mumbling, "Says the man who doesn't love his own wife."

•••

They rode horses out of Robb Stark's camp in the dead of night. Soon enough, Laila, Brienne, and the Kingslayer hit a forest. Laila rode her own horse, while Brienne was stuck riding with the Kingslayer strapped to her back. She was distraught at the choice.

Laila didn't know how she felt. She was a bit angry that she had been put in such a situation by Catelyn, but her lady encouraged her that no harm would come their way. Laila begged to differ, and predicted that Robb's banner men were probably in pursuit of them at this second. He would never let his prisoner get away. She was obviously in the way of him, but like always, she trusted Catelyn. This didn't mean she didn't carry her trusted dagger on her person though.

Once they hit a clearing in the woods, Brienne advised that they make the rest of the trek by foot. Laila agreed, thinking they wouldn't be as easy to spot. The handmaiden brushed her horse's mane back before tapping its body, which made the horse run off. Brienne hopped down from her horse, leaving Jaime to fall down into the ground, face-first. She allowed her horse to sprint away as well.

Jaime groaned as he hit the dirt. He rolled around, a sack covering his vision. Brienne rolled her eyes as Laila kicked the Kingslayer's boot. "Get up," she said, but Jaime only replied in another groan.