Chapter 2

Astrid's POV:

When I got back to my room, my heart was pounding in my chest. How on earth had I let him beat me? And could I handle the teasing and taunting that came along with it? My train of thought was interrupted by a soft knock on my door.

"Come in,"

Thor smiled gently, closing the door behind him, and sitting down beside me on my bed.

"You did great today."

"No I didn't. I lost to Loki. Do you know what this will do to my reputation? What will my father think?"

"Astrid, please calm down."

"But Thor, I can't. I can't disappoint my father like this. I'm his 'little warrior'. I am to make him proud, not to put our family name to shame." I rested my head on his shoulder.

"Please think about what you're saying. You're father is the nicest person I know. He wouldn't be ashamed of you. Think about all of the greatness that you've concurred? I'm sure he's insanely proud of that!"

"Yeah, I guess you're right. But Loki will never let me forget this."

Thor stroked my blonde hair softly. "He only won because you were using sorcery. If it were with swords, you would've clobbered him."

I smiled at his comment. "You think so?"

"I know so."

He pulled me in for a hug. "I don't know what I would do without you, Thor. You're like a big brother to me."

"And you are my little sister."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I entered the dinning hall with Thor for a feast with the royal family. My parents were already there, along with the king and queen. I quietly sat between my father and mother, and watched him slowly turn to me.

"Hi, bud." He smiled at me. "I heard you were a riot at the ring today."

"You heard about that, huh?"

He ruffled my hair. "Don't let one loss get to you. There are plenty more battles to be won."

"But you don't care that I lost to the prince?"

"It was during sorcery, Astrid. I don't expect you to be perfect at that."

I grinned feeling a bit better. "Thanks, Dad."

"You're welcome kiddo. Now let's eat."

We began to feast, enjoying the delightful meal that the palace staff had made for dinner. About fifteen minutes into the meal, Loki wandered in wearing his usual Asgardian attire. He sat down next to his mother, and eyed me evilly.

"Hello Loki. Finally able to join us I presume?" Odin glared at him.

"Excuse me for wanting to change into something more presentable for dinner, father." He talked to Odin but still kept his eyes on me. "I did have a bit of training that I most indeed was impressed with today."

I tried my best to not jump across the table and choke him to death. I caught gazes with my father and he nodded acknowledgeably.

"Well congratulations, my prince." My father placed a comforting hand on my knee underneath the table. "What was your weapon of choice?"

Loki looked at him, stunned. "Weapon..?"

"Yes? Like a sword, shield, nun chucks.... daggers?"

"None of those, sir."

"Then please share what you so boldly used to win against my daughter?"

"Uhh... sorcery."

"Loki!" Frigga eyed him darkly. "You know very well that Astrid hasn't unlocked her true powers, yet you have the gal to make her feel pain in losing."

Thor and I snickered. Loki looked like a lost puppy.

He shook his head and glared in Thor's direction. "I'm sorry, mother."

"Don't apologize to me."

I smirked, looking Loki straight in the eyes, batting my eyelashes. "Yes, my prince?"

"I'm s-"

"You're what?" Frigga asked.

"I'm sor-"

"What was that Loki?"

"Ugh! I'm sorry okay?" He growled.

"For what?" Frigga pressed.

"For using sorcery on you knowing that you couldn't fight back as well."

I smiled, my fears of his teasing completely diminished in value.

Dinner ended soon, and I quietly excused myself from the table. On my way back to my chambers, my father caught me by the arm. "Hey, bud. When you have time tonight, ride down to meet me at the training ring. We can go and test those new techniques of yours that Ullr keeps telling me about."

I grinned. "Can't wait!" I ran the rest of the way to my room, thrilled.

I almost didn't even see Loki walking to his room down the hall, and I ran right into him. We fell onto the floor, me landing straight on top of him.

"Watch where you're going, peasant!" He grumbled, pushing my dangling blonde hair out of his face. "Oh, it's you."

I scrambled off his chest and turned to leave.

"I don't appreciate that little stunt you pulled on me during dinner."

"What stunt?" I gave him an innocent face.

"You know exactly what. You always pull your daddy into your problems, huh?"

I slapped him hard across the face.

"You're going to pay for that!" He snarled, shoving me up against the wall.

"Loki!" Our heads whipped around to see Thor running over.

"Put her down!"

Loki tossed me to the side, and Thor caught me by the arm, gently pulling me to my feet.

"You would think you'd know how to treat a woman."

Loki laughed. "If you're trying to convince me that that thing over there is a woman, I'm not buying it."

I scoffed. "Excuse me?"

"Astrid, just pull back. Leave him be." Thor urged me to go ahead, as I walked back to my chambers in silence.