Day 8 - Breathless

"Stay here." Michael told Araceli as he got out of the car.

"STAY!?" She screamed as he continued out and closed the door.

She covered her eyes as she breathed heavily. "Oh my god... Mom..."

Carter continued to cry in the back as Araceli crawled into the back seats and held him still crying herself. "It's okay, Cart..."

"Mommy... They killed Mommy..."

"I know... I know... They won't get away with it though I swear..." She told him as she rocked him softly.

Once he fell asleep, Araceli cried into his shoulder silently, tiring herself out she fell asleep holding him not long after.

MOM!

Araceli jerked awake now being back in bed as she sat up and looked around, Michael was sleeping by her but woke up when she did from the movement.

"Are you okay?"

"Where's Carter!?"

"He's with Moon. He's okay. Get some rest."

"Michael!"

"What?"

"That's my brother!"

"I know that's why I took him to the artillery shell of the entire sanctuary." Michael sat up and looked at her as she put her shoes on. He pulled her back gently. "You don't have to go check on him, I did not 3 minutes ago..."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"...Michael..."

"What?"

"I've only known you for a week now... You were assigned to me so why..." She took a deep breath.

"Why what?"

"Wh-... Why..."

He sat by her and pulled her feet up. "Why am I being so nice suddenly?" Michael took her shoes off and tossed them in the floor. "Why am I not letting you do what you want?"

"...yeah..." She watched him as she whipped her eyes.

"Because..."

"Because wh-"

"Because I like you... And that's honest to the gods..."

Araceli's face began to burn with happiness and embarrassment. "R-Really?"

"Yes... It started the 3rd day you were here, and it just progressively got worse... Especially when you told me about Bradley..." He looked off.

"I-..." She lost her words as he looked back at her.

"I know I don't speak out like I should or tell you how much I actually care but I do I swear..."

"Th-This isn't a dream... Right... Cause if it is..."

"It's not... I promise."

She hugged him tightly as he said that. "I like you too... Maybe a little more than like... I'm sorry I freaked out on you the first day and all the hell Im putting you through..."

"It's okay..." He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer.

"Please don't let this be a dream... Please..."

He kissed her head. "It's not a dream... But we should get some sleep okay?"

"Okay..." She looked at him and smiled softly.

"And I'm sorry about your Mom... They'll pay for it..."

"I know they will..." She growled slightly as Michael rolled over and put her on the other side of the bed, her face got even brighter as she smiled widely the anger suddenly leaving her.

"Sleep. We'll talk more tomorrow..."

She nodded and smiled more. "Okay..."