Fourteen: Defenses

I'm kind of better now lol, not really. I'm not underweight anymore so Yay! However, when I was underweight, because my body wasn't getting enough nutrients I became really susceptible to infection and sickness and soooooo long story short, I have pneumonia. Lol story of my life. Sigh, but at long last: ANOTHER CHAPTER!
.
.
.
Apparently the dog didn't agree with her decision. She payed it no mind, hoping it would leave once it realized she wasn't going to go wherever the thing wanted her to go. She was completely silent, and slightly miffed about the dog still following her, as she hopped from tree to tree. Her speed allowed her to reach the borders of the Land of Fire by nightfall. The Land of Waves was just across the river. Tsumi kept going, focusing chakra to her feet as she passed over the river. The fog was so thick she could barely see her own hands. The dog was nowhere to be found. Satisfaction settled in as Tsumi realized it must've been called back to it's master. Finally reaching land, Tsumi began setting up traps and such around a small area of forest so that she could rest. Her eyes closed and her body relaxed. She kept her mind in a semi-aware state to avoid being caught off guard in her sleep.

She woke before the sun, standing up and forcing her body to become completely awake. She had to stay alert. The Land of Waves was not an ideal place to be caught off guard in its current state. The country was poor and criminals of all sorts had free reign. Those who were once good and pure, the once kind residents of the country, were now savage and ruthless; willing to do whatever it took just to ensure their survival for a while longer. People once had hope that they would be saved, but that thought was quickly snuffed out like a flame left in the rain. Tsumi pushed on through the devastatingly poor lands. She didn't spare a glance at any of the residents. What for? To look at them in pity when she had nothing to offer? To give them what little possessions she had on her- leaving her penniless and at risk- just for them to sell it, spend their little bit of money on measly pickings from somebody else's trash pile, and then be left with nothing once again? It wasn't fair. None of it was, but it was better just to push on and ignore it than to offer them false hope; hope that would just disappear as soon as it came. Night came quickly for Tsumi, but she didn't rest. She continued on, through the Land of Waves and eventually stopped in a small, nameless town just outside of The Waves. People seemed to subconsciously gravitate away from her. It stung. She no longer had Akio to comfort her, to be her companion. She was alone now. Her tired legs led her to a small, shabby inn on the edge of the shabby, nameless town. It wasn't ideal, but she planned to leave again at first light tomorrow. Tsumi still had a long way to travel if she planned to make it to Yona in a timely manner.
"Your cheapest room for one please." Tsumi murmured quietly, handing the man a small amount of coins. She didn't bother to speak into his mind. Why should she try and suppress her power? Why not use it? She no longer had a reason to remain good to every person she met, Tsumi was alone; Akio wasn't here anymore to tell her to mind her manners or to be kind to every person she met. It was just her now, and the way Tsumi saw it, nobody deserved her kindness. Without he only companion, it was survival of the fittest for her now.