Colin

"How could this happen? Where were the guards? Why didn't they stop him?"Juliet asked angrily as she sat down beside Kenna. Hearing that Mary almost got raped by Colin made her blood boil.

"I hope Mary did if they didn't. They'll question her virtue. If she's not a virgin, then she'll never be queen of France, and our chances at court will be over." Greer said worried.

Lola released a few tears. "You don't know what happened, any of you."

"Tell me." Mary commanded stepping into the room.

"I've spoken to him. He's being held. I bribed a guard. Colin's a good man; a boy still."

"And what did he say? What possible defense could he have given you?"

"He said he was forced. He wouldn't say by whom. He couldn't, he was so afraid. But he said there are people, powerful people, behind this, and he had no choice."

"What people?"

"Here in the castle. He wouldn't risk saying more."

"Do you believe him Mary?" Juliet questioned her best friend.

Mary thought for a moment. "He looked so surprised that I would fight back. That I would even wake."

"That you'd wake? He attacked you."

"The wine. I was told not to drink the wine. I was warned."

"Warned by whom?" Lola asked.

"It doesn't matter now. I believe you. I believe Colin."

"Please help him."

~🌹~

"There was nothing I could do." Mary pleaded with Lola who looked shocked. Mary had just told the girls that Colin had been executed. "I was too late."

"He wasn't a traitor. He wasn't a rapist."

"They said he was involved in an English plot. I don't know who to believe or who to trust. I'm...I'm sorry Lola."

"You're the reason he's dead. Anyone who's close to you lives in constant danger. We're disposable, all of us."

"No, you're not. I need you. You're my friends."

"Kenna is my friends. Greer, Aylee, and Juliet are my friends. You are my queen and we're your subjects. We're here in service to you, whatever that means, whatever it costs us."

"I will protect you."

"You can't even protect yourself."

"I'll do better. I promise."

Lola didn't respond, instead she began to cry. Three of the four girls comforted her. Juliet instead went to Mary's side and walked out of the room with her.

"Stirling!" Mary exclaimed as Sebastian walked up the steps with her dog. "You found him." Mary brought her dog down the steps while Juliet talked to Sebastian.

"Thank you, Bash. She really needed this today."

"Of course. I was hoping I would get the chance to talk to you today. I didn't like how I left our conversation."

"It's all right Sebastian."

"No, it's not. Meet me by the stables tomorrow."

Thank you again for reading. I hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Love ya😘
Bye.