The Plague

As Juliet quietly arranged the books in her new home, she heard Pascal saying the rhyme that he had said in the carriage before. Juliet turned to look at Pascal before joining his side on the large chair.

"Pascal, why are you saying that rhyme again? Are you scared?"

Instead of answering, Pascal listened to the sounds around him. "It's too quiet. Where are the guards?"

Juliet noticed the silence to and went to check out the window. As she drew near, a figure looked in. Juliet screamed when she didn't recognize the figure as one of the guards.

Juliet grabbed Pascal's hand and dragged him into the back room, locking the door shut behind her.

"Your guards are dead, and soon you will be too." The figure said. "But the boy will survive. Give him to me."

Juliet placed her arm in front of Pascal and moved him behind her. "Please leave us!"

"I cannot. I am the Darkness, the devourer, the feeder of the gods, but I cannot feed them forever. Pascal, offer her blood to the gods. Appease their hunger before it grows."

The Darkness began to throw his weight at the door, trying to get it opened. Eventually it stopped, but once the weight hit again it opened.

Juliet brought Pascal closer, but relaxed when Bash entered instead of the Darkness.

"Are you hurt?" Bash questioned her.

"No but...Bash!"

Bash turned around just as the Darkness prepared to attack him. Bash fought him off until he was able to kick him into Nostradamus' sword, killing him.

"Get Juliet and Pascal out of here."

Nostradamus listened and grabbed the two, ushering them out.

~🌹~

Juliet rushed to her husband's side as soon as she got the news. That King Henry was injuries and had died.

"Bash, I'm so sorry about your father."

Bash turned to Juliet. "I don't know what my place is here anymore."

"Your place is with me."

"No, I meant..."

"I know what you meant. You don't need your father's name or to slay every dragon to be worth something. You've done enough. You are enough. Now you deserve some happiness of your own."

"I think I found it in you. I love you."

"I love you too."

Juliet and Bash turned towards the sky as they noticed a shooting star. Soon more appeared. One right after the other.

"The stars are falling." Bash said. "It's the final sign before the Darkness said it would return. He said it would sweep the land."

"What would?"

"The plague."

Hey guys. I hope you enjoyed. Thanks for reading.