A New Era

Soundtrack: Don't Kick The Chair, By Dia Framton

_
_
_

It was dark and quiet, but not in an ominous way. Jason felt like he was floating, as if he wasn't tethered to one point, rather he was just...out there. It was reminiscent of what he felt the first time he died. Everything was calm and still. Almost peaceful.

Then the sound of voices and yells erupted in the silence. It was echoed and muffled, like he was under water. Pain shot through him, then he was yanked from his state of limbo and back into reality.

Jason awoke with a start and snapped into awareness, he was now firing on all cylinders. His heart was pounding in his chest, and he found himself gasping for air. His body and instincts were telling him something was wrong, very wrong.

People were holding him down. He thrashed against their grip, but they remained firm.

"Calm down, Jay! Your heart stopped, I gave you a shot of adrenaline." A voice yelled. It sounded like Tim.

"Calm down!" He repeated.

Jason's eyes frantically darted around and within a few seconds he realized where he was. He was in the backseat of the bat-mobile.

Tim was crouched in front of him, his hands firmly pressed against the wound in his abdomen. As best Jason could tell, the kid had made a makeshift tourniquet.

Damian was in the passenger seat just beyond Tim, looking back worriedly. Dick was at the wheel, knuckles white as he barreled down the street. He was going far faster than Jason had ever seen him drive before.

Jason caught a glimpse of Dick in the rear-view mirror, and he could've sworn it looked like he'd been crying.

Where was Bruce then? He almost never let anyone else drive.

That's when Jason realized there was another presence in the backseat. Or more accurately, he realized he was laying in the back, his shoulders and head laid across someone's lap.

He looked up only to meet a set of relief filled eyes. It was Bruce staring down at him, his cowl was off and he honestly looked like he'd been crying too. At that moment, Jason saw more emotions on Bruce's face than he thinks he'd ever seen before.

If it had been under any other circumstances, and if Jason hadn't been so weak from blood loss, he would've probably jumped out the car window. Because The Dark Knight was crying, over him of all people.

Jason stared up at Bruce for a moment, neither of them moved. Then he was racked by a violent cough, and more blood filled his mouth. Tim cursed under his breath and began to work on Jason's injury again.

"It started bleeding again. Step on it, Dick!" Tim practically ordered.

Jason coughed once more, and Bruce's features filled with worry. Jason was still so cold, probably from blood loss.

"Come on, Tim. You and I both know I've lost too much blood. Most of mine is in that puddle back there." Jason said quietly, his voice horse.

"No! Just no. I'm not letting you die today." Tim stated firmly, going back to work on the wound.

There was silence for a beat.