Chapter 03: A Line between Life and Death

Cassiopeia's POV:

This is where I belong. A sword is my companion in everything. Doing martial arts and improving my skills is already my destiny. I may not have magic along with me but my ability to be the last one standing shines me the brightest. A leading newbie among my fellow warriors. I can never ask for more.

"Gather around warriors!"

"What brings the General in here?" One of my colleagues come to me and asked. "He does not normally come here in the Sphere."

"It must be something important." I stare at the edge of my blade and then to our General who's standing at the elevated gem stone with our commandant. "Let's go."

They all started to gather at the heart of the Sphere that serves as our training ground. I follow them a little while after catching up my thoughts back once again. I often space out at things like this. In the first place, there's something dubious is going on in here.

"Don't get nervous my dear warriors. Come closer so I can clearly see you."

He looks at us one by one and smile. Are they going to eliminate one of us again? Or giving us a break after all those years of serving the Earth. It can't be. A freedom like that is always granted to those who served not only our nation but also the whole Majica, which supposed to be our seniors, not us.

"As you all know, the youngest prince of the Air Kingdom will celebrate his 22nd birthday three days from now on. As a formal invitation given by their Queen, three nations must present fairies to be part of the swordsmanship event prepared by the youngest prince himself."

"I'm sorry but why are you telling us such invitation that is meant for our elders?" Alyana asked. We are same age fairies and let's just say 'rivals' when it comes to things like almost everything. She hates me so much, making me always wonder why. From what I still remember in our pixie days, we are very close. Me, Amethyst and her, we are best friends until that day came and she just shut us out.

"I will choose three fairies from you all to compete with the other nations. It is not about how long you have been all trained in a swordplay, it is all about how you understand one another to form as one."

There's a sharp stare at my direction and I think I know where that's coming from. Here we go again. Don't tell me she's taking it as a competition between the two of us? I already had enough! I do not want to have another tragic negotiation with her ever again. We are not allowed to use abilities with one another unless we told to do so by elders for our class performance. Besides, she has magic in her hands.

"I think you'll get choose, Cass." Spencer stands beside me.

"I hope not."

"Those names who are mention, please come forward." Our commandant said as he looks at me then nod.

"I hope we can be together again this time."

"What?"

I look at Spencer and he just simply shrug his shoulders and laugh.

"Let's go."

"To where?"

"Our names got mention. You can stay here if you want to have their eyes for another minute."

Sometimes I just cannot understand him. He's a weird and funny guy. Many fairies in our age, younger and older has a crush on him. For me, he's just a monkey − with charms.

After receiving some words of wisdom from our Commandant, we all got dismissed early and head back straightly down to our own places. We have to leave by this evening so that by tomorrow we're already at the floating castle of Air Kingdom.