Chapter 13

"We've got ourselves another!" The loud booming voices echoed off the walls of 100-year-old orphanage. A tiny baby wrapped in a wool blanket was held in Miss. Mona's arms. The tag still attached to the child's foot read,

Ellen Coover, born from Lucinda Coover and Oliver Coover. The small child had dark hair and bright eyes. She shifted in the woman's arms as she carelessly walked down the hallway. Miss. Mona handed the baby to one of the older children who stayed at the orphanage.

"Take her to the nursery." Her voice seemed to be getting louder to the small child's delicate hearing.

"Yes ma'am." The girl brought the baby to her crib and hummed to calm not only the baby but also herself from what seemed an eternity at a horrid, dark orphanage.

***

Growing up Ellen never noticed how strange her life was becoming. Even labeled 'orphanage,' no one seemed to notice that the young girls haven't yet been adopted. And their numbers were growing. Dark hair and light eyes. Ellen was no different except for her misbehavior. She started to walk by one and a half and could speak well enough by almost two. She did alright in school for her lack of sleep and had knack for telling lies.

"No one is going to want you if you keep up with that nonsense."

"I'm sorry Miss. Mona." Ellen would repeat to her caretaker, holding back the tears as if she hadn't misbehaved a hundred times before. By secondary school, Ellen had adapted a sense of independence and started to stray away from her peers. And at the age of 13, she was even caught sneaking out of her bedroom window. It was then that the girl's caretaker realized Miss. Coover needed a better punishment. She kicked her out of the home and onto the streets by herself.

It didn't take Ellen too long to realized she had to act fast and really needed a place to stay. For only a few months, she stayed with a family as they flew off to America. Born and raised in Europe she was a stranger to her new country and was sent to live with an old lady, who was already raising another orphan.

This old lady treated her with kindness she's never had the pleasure to encounter. She assured Ellen that everything was safe and everything is going to be okay. Her new caretaker even had a special gift that no one else knew about. It was then Ellen knew she had the power to learn magic.