Chapter 6: Students and Sinners

It was lunch on the third day. Abaddon walked into the room that smelt of mediocre grilled cheese, cleaning chemicals, and gym sweat. He saw mystery girl eating at a round table near the corner of the room. A beefy man was sitting across from her, leaning close and talking constantly. She seemed displeased but honestly that was kind of her normal. He joined them. She rolled her eyes again. He didn't look at her but instead at the jock. "Hi" he said sticking his hand out again. Beefboi gave him a strange look but shook his hand roughly. "You're the new kid right?" he said as if he didn't know. "Guilty... and you... I'm guessing you're like the football captain or something? Since you're the only one who had enough nerve to come over here and talk to this miss, even though the rest of your pack have been eyeing her equally as much." Beefboi didn't know how to feel about the accusation. "Football and wrestling captain actually" he said as though to stress how much stronger he was. "But what's it to you?"

Abaddon smiled. "Oh nothing... Just trying to figure everybody out you know... new school, it's a good idea to make friends." He kept his smile. Beefboi had never been treated so casually. He was either feared or hated, but Abaddon gave him neither emotion. It rocked him off his feet. He got  up. "Alright, I'm gonna go... later" he said to both of them with a face of confusion.

Now Abaddon's attention was entirely on Mystery girl now. "No need to thank me ma'am."

She scoffed. "Just replaced one jerk with another." This made him smile. "Don't you ever get tired of playing the grumpy character? Surely something makes you smile?"  She thought for a moment. "Sure... music, art, solitude, the forest, being left alooone" she said with widened eyes. "Oh I love the forest" he said "good place to do all kinds of bad things" he said with a smile. "hey so I know it will kind of ruin the mystery, but I should probably know the name of the woman  I'm taking on a date friday night."

She gasped with another eye roll. "You do that a lot" he pointed out.

"And what makes you think we're going out?" She said.

He shrugged. "Well you have more reasons to say yes then to say no... think about it. For one, If people think something's going on with us, then beefboi and his friends will leave you alone, and then the girls might hate you less since the boys will focus on them. Also, I figure based on your attitude you probably have a shit home life and you don't want to be home on a friday night. And the third reason is, I can tell you kinda like me... or at least your curious."

She sat in her chair scowling and tapping her foot. "My name's Cara." she muttered bitterly.

"Cara" he practiced saying it, he decided he liked it. "Cool, so 8 o'clock?" he asked.

She grabbed his arm "Fine... but it's only so the other douches will leave me alone. I'd rather deal with one then ten." He smiled.

"If you say so Cara..." he got up and left. She wondered if she was making a mistake, and how he was able to figure out that she had a shit home life.