Katie Gardner

After all the classes, it was free time.

I was hanging out with Travis, watching the Satyrs chase the Nymphs. "Look over there. That's Kevyn. I wouldn't be here without him," I said to Travis, holding his hand. "Yeah! I should really thank him. I mean, you wouldn't be here if it was any other Satyr!" Travis said. I punched him in the arm, playfully. "You know what I mean!" I squeaked.

"Yeah, yeah," he said. I had to ask him about someone--Katie, the one the Aphrodite kids mentioned. "Hey, the Aphrodite cabin mentioned something about a girl the other day--Katie. You know who she is?" I asked. Hi smile faded. "Oh....her. I-I used to have a major crush on her. Asked her on a date a couple of times. Even tried to kiss her once--but she-she didn't like me back," he said not meeting my eyes. "So you moved on?" I asked, putting a hand on his shoulder. Travis bit his lip and nodded.

"I moved on. Then I saw you and....and I knew I  liked you. I kinda hoped you were a Hermes kid but then again I didn't. I wanted to date you...so you couldn't be my half-sister. But hey! Look where we are now!" Travis said, forcing a weak smile.

I just shook my head. "What's her last name?" I asked. 

"Gardner."

I bit my lip, thinking for a moment. "You can still go and try for her if you want to," I said. I can't believe I just said that. Gods, what was I thinking? "No! I-I can't. I don't like her anymore--she isn't the one for me," he said, trying not to curl up in a ball and cry. I could tell. 

I sighed. "Follow your dreams, Travis," I said as I inched closer to him. "I'm not going back for her!" He blurted. He held both of my hands. "I. Love. you," I could feel his breath. "Travis...," I said. He pulled my hair behind my ear.

"Sorry," he said, then he cried. He cried for thirty minutes straight. "Connor, he-he is having a hard time right now. My mom--she just-- she just," he gulped. "Died," He said, sobbing.

"Travis, we are cry buddies, remember? One of us cries, the other cries. So don't cry. I don't feel like crying right now,"