4

After walking for a while, Silas realised he didn't know how to get to the train station. Oh well, he thought, shrugging, I'll just ask someone for directions. So he set out to find a person instead of the train station. However, at 10 o'clock on a Sunday morning, the streets were deserted, because everyone was either in church, at the pub, or watching telly. So it took almost an hour for Silas to find someone on the side of the road. When he came closer, he realised he had seen the man before.

Full of confidence, he walked over to the man and smiled, shouting, "HEY MAN, HOW ARE YA, COS I AM PRETTY GOOD MYSELF, BUT I THINK I MIGHT KNOW YOU BUT I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU CAME FROM AND" he paused for a breath, "DO YOU KNOW HOW TO GET TO THE TRAIN STATION?" And with that he stopped, and smiled waiting for an answer. The man didn't say anything, just looked at him with a confused expression. Then slowly backing away he pointed left and ran off down the street, and quickly turned into a back alley.

Silas Gazed after him in wonderment for a second, then looked over to where he had pointed. a graffiti covered sign that said Train Station: Logan met his gaze and smiling again, he quickly crossed the street, just missing being hit by a bus, and walked into the train station.

There were a few dilapidated old ticket booths, with smashed windows and delinquent youth hanging around inside them. 4 and a half benches with graffiti and scorch marks were filled with pigeons, except for one which had an old woman hyperventilating. After contemplating sitting in Pigeon droppings or next to the old women, Silas finally decided on the latter and went to sit down. But as he walked towards her, the lady sprung up from the bench and screamed. All the pigeons flew away and all the sinister guys hanging around looked his direction.

"WHAT? SERIOUSLY EVERYONE, PEOPLE HAVE BEEN RUNNING AWAY FROM ME ALL DAY, LIKE I GET FIRED AND SO PEOPLE THINK THEY CAN TREAT ME BADLY. IT'S NOT MY FAULT I WENT TO WORK EARLY.... I THOUGHT I WAS LATE.... I JUST.... I JUST WANTED TO HELP" Silas looked up with a sniffle and said in a slightly quieter voice, with just a hint of a waiver "what's wrong with me?"

His last words were met with an astonished look from the old lady, and howls of laughter like a pack of hyenas would make, from the guys. Finally one of them had the self-control to say scornfully "dude your like cut up, covered in dried blood and bruises. Did you not even look in the mirror this morning? This comment was greeted with more hyena like howls.

Silas looked down at his arms, for the first time noticing the cuts and dried blood. He looked up again at the old lady and said in a wobbly voice "can I use your shower?"

The old lady fainted at this, and the guys all fell down holding their sides and rolled of the platform onto the train tracks. Looking in wonderment over the whole scene, a green parrot, probably an escapee from the pound, squawked pieces of eight and flapped off, leaving Silas to find a tap and wash off in the privacy of a deserted train station.

After he had dried off and gotten dressed, Silas sat down where the old lady had been sitting, and waited for a train. He knew that one of his mates had gotten into too much debt and had moved to a suburb more boganish than Logan, if that's even possible, called Ipswich. It was said about Ipswich that not even the police went on the streets at night, and there wasn't even any stray cats or homeless people under every street light. The prospect of going there filled Silas with anticipation and excitement, but he had an underlying sense of dread. But because he was used to random feelings, he ignored them and let his mind wander. He imagined what it would be like to be in a real fight, what it would be like at his next job which he was sure he would get in the next few days. But soon enough his thoughts turned to where they usually went, counting all the pretty girls he had seen that day. So he sat there, with the green parrot, who had returned, looking down on him, surrounded by pigeons, waiting for the train to get to the station.