Chapter Two

I held my breath as I took it all in. The government had finally let Cinna go, but as an avox. I turned around to see Peeta, in shock. Without another word, I turned around and walked into the kitchen. I grabbed a small loaf of bread out of a nearby drawer, and slammed it shut.

Even though the sun wasn’t out yet, I went outside onto the deck. I sat down on the white, new porch chair and looked up at the stars. I rested my head on a soft, light green pillow. I had only gone out on the deck either in my free time or when I needed to think. It was place of peace.

Deep in the meadow, under the willlow,

A bed of grass, a soft green pillow

Lay down your head, and close your sleepy eyes

And when they open, the sun will rise

“Katniss.” I heard Peeta whisper. I opened my eyes slowly to see the sun was out and the mockingjays were singing. I glanced over to the garden to see Cinna watering the daises and roses seeming upset. I woke up feeling like I had been in a daze for months. I shut my eyes once he glanced over at me. I was afraid of knowing the truth about Cinna. “Are you okay?” Peeta asked.

“Yeah” I mumbled and felt a blanket fall over me. It was a little chilly out, since fall had begun a few weeks ago. During the spring, Ivy had turned seven years old, and was very smart for her age. Chasen was four years old, and loved to explore. Nothing with them has changed with them since, besides their connection with us. Ivy is a Daddy’s girl and Chasen is a Daddy’s boy. It bothered me a little since they’d never give me the same amount of love they gave Peeta. He had tried to make them love me more, but it was always about him, in their minds.

“Thank you.” I whispered to Peeta, opening my eyes, and kissing his forehead. He smiled and made a motion so he could sit next to me. The chair could fit two people but it wasn’t like a couch. I laughed a little when his hand traveled over my arms. I could feel myself drifting in and out of sleep after laying my head on his shoulder and watching him fall asleep.

Here it's safe, and here it's warm

Here the daisies guard you from every harm

Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true

            I woke up slowly, hoping not to wake Peeta up. No nightmares, as long as he was next to me, I was safe. He seemed to be in a deep sleep and I was surprised that I didn’t wake him up. I lay back onto his shoulder and I felt his fingers glide through my hair. I smiled as I remembered when he had touched my braid during the first hunger games.

He stood up and offered his hand to me. “Where are we going?” I asked grabbing his hand. Without a word he led me to the front of our house. The sun had made the house even brighter and more beautiful.

“And this.” He said pointing to his heart and then the house. “Is where I love you.” I laughed and kissed him, wrapping my arms around his neck. I felt his hands on my hips shortly after. I heard a “click” from a picture being taken. I pulled away quickly thinking it was someone I didn’t know, but it was just Ivy. Peeta laughed and chased her around the front of the house.

We seemed like the perfect family. We definitely weren’t but we were working on being a better, stronger family. I started laughing and watching them run around until they disappeared into the backyard. I walked back inside the house and saw Cinna sitting on the couch in the lounge room. I sat next to him and tried to find the words to say.

“So, do you know if there is any way we can fix this?” I asked rubbing my hands against my legs. He shrugged, as he stared at the wall. “We can just take you to Paylor or the hospital? They could make you able to talk again.” He shrugged once again, still staring at the wall. All of a sudden, I heard Ivy scream, “Don’t touch them, Chasen!”

“Here we go again.” I touched Cinna’s arm. “I’ll be right back.” He looked at me and nodded. I smiled and ran down the hall until I saw Chasen by the garden. The Nightlock Bush had grown back after I had tried killing it. I saw Ivy rip the berries out of his hand before he could eat them. Peeta, was on the ground, and seemed like he could barely breathe after chasing Ivy.

I opened the door and turned to Peeta. “I’ll be right back, okay?” He nodded taking in a huge breath then coughing. I ran over to Chasen and I took the berries out of his hand and threw them to the ground. “Chasen! Don’t touch these!” I calmed myself down seeing that Chasen had finally understood. “Okay?” I started crying a little and I hugged him close to me. “Don’t scare Mommy like that, okay? I didn’t mean to yell but you scared me.” Chasen let go and ran back inside. Ivy stood there, clearly annoyed and out of breath as well. “Go back inside Ivy, get yourself and Daddy a glass of water.” She nodded and walked back inside.

I walked over to Peeta, who had gained some of his breath back. “Nice job with the kids. I think they are actually taking more of a liking to you.” I smiled, pushing his chest playfully. My smile faded as I remembered about Cinna.

“I want to take Cinna to become normal again. I don’t want the kids to ask why he doesn’t talk and then we’ll have to explain it.” He tried to lean forward to kiss my cheek but I got up. “Peeta, I’m serious.”

He got up and grabbed my hands. I tried pulling away but his grip was tight, but comforting.“I know you’re serious. I think we should as well.” He looked back inside the house to see Ivy coming outside with a glass of water. “But when?”

“Now.” I said quickly. “The sooner the better.” He nodded his head and took the glass of water from Ivy.

“Thank you, Ivy.” He said rubbing her hair, which she hated. She fixed her hair and turned around. Before she got into the house, I knew I had to thank her.

“Ivy!” I shouted. She turned around and looked at me. “Thank you for stopping Chasen from eating the berries. It means a lot.” She nodded her head, and said something I couldn’t hear. Before I could ask, she went back inside and shut the door. Cinna came outside, and stood next to us. “Ready to go?” Cinna nodded, he seemed enthusiastic about it but I could tell that he was a little nervous.

“Actually, Katniss, I think you should stay here.” I gave him a look of confusion. I could see in his eyes that he knew I’d run into trouble if I went out with him. “You’d get looks; you might bump into someone that you don’t want to… I can’t risk losing you Katniss. Especially now that we’re finally fixing our relationship.”

“But I can’t risk losing you either, Peeta.” I said grabbing his arm before he could walk away.

“Nothing is going to happen to me. I’ll be fine and so will Cinna. We’ll come back and he’ll be able to talk again, okay? Just believe in me.”

“I always have and I always will Peeta.” I said kissing his cheek. He smiled and waved goodbye. As my smile faded, I gave them the farewell gesture. They returned the gesture and then walked towards the hospital. I saw Chasen behind me clinging onto my leg, crying. “It’s okay, Chasen. Daddy will be back.”

“You promise?” He said looking up at me with his “puppy dog” eyes. I wanted to tell him that I promised, but I could lose his trust. I could always go down to the hospital if he wasn’t back in an hour or so. Ivy came walking up behind him.

“Promise what?” Ivy asked coming towards us.

“I asked Mommy to promise me that Daddy will come home.” He answered quickly.

Ivy looked up at me; with the same puppy dog eyes that Chasen had given me. “Please tell me he’ll come home Mom. I don’t want to lose Dad.”

“Don’t think like that. I’m going to make sure that we won’t lose Daddy. I just need to find someone to watch you two.”

“Someone like me?” Haymitch added. I looked up and smiled. I ran over and hugged him. He had come at the most perfect times. “I’ll watch them for you, Katniss. Go find Peeta and Cinna.” The kids ran to him and he picked both of them up playfully.

“Thank you.” I whispered to Haymitch. I did the farewell sign to them, and they returned it. I knew that I would never be able to repay Haymitch for this, which I hated. But that was the least of my problems at the time. My main priority was to keep Peeta alive.

____________________________________________________________________________

Please comment about what you thought of this chapter or vote! Thank you(: