Chapter Twenty-One

My jaw dropped even though I tried my best to hide my reaction. I looked back to see Peeta had the same reaction but even more shocked. “How to do you know?” I asked quickly turning back to the man.

                “Paylor was pronounced dead on the scene, according to a doctor. Only one of her guards has escaped and is expected to die at any moment.” He said blowing his nose into his handkerchief. “He won’t live long since he was shot in the chest. The only way he’d survive is if he got medical in under a minute after he got shot.”  He paused. “I better get going. Until next time-“He took a bow quickly, and then left.

                The whole situation had seemed so sudden and strange but I was happy that the war was finally over. At last,  there wouldn’t be any more fighting or worrying about losing someone else that I truly loved. There would just be peace, comfort, and safety. I felt Rose wrap her arms around me almost too tightly and I heard Chasen run around screaming things in gibberish; which his favorite way of talking was.

                I walked over towards Peeta, who still seemed to be in shock, as he walked over towards me. The moment had been like those from the old romance movies, except less sappy. We both needed to be with each other in this moment, because we didn’t want to suffer anymore and we didn’t know what the future would hold. Ivy and Chasen shouldn’t have seen any of this, and now we were worried they’d ask what lead to it. But instead of worrying, we solved it with a kiss.

                A victory kiss.

                It had only lasted for a short while. I let go for what felt like a few moments later, and began to create a fire pit. Shortly after, we had some of the “Victory Food” Haymitch sent us down along with a note that read:

Good work out there. See you tomorrow morning.

                We began talking about what our homes are like, becoming excited to head back.

                “Well-“ Butch said stabbing a piece of meat onto his stick. “-at home I have a wife and one son.” He began to a bite of the cooked beef giving a satisfied look. “I’m a butcher.” He said laughing a little. “I think this meat is delicious”

                We laughed a little because he would know what was delicious meat-wise, and what wasn’t. “Which is part of the reason why that’s my name… They forced me to become one. But I don’t mind, because it isn’t that bad of a job.” He continued then grabbed another piece of meat and stabbed it onto the stick.

                “Our house isn’t really different from the others.” I added. “We don’t work any jobs yet since we’ve still been trying to recover from…” I swallowed my words and then looking over at Peeta who reached for my hand.

                A nightmare. Think of happy thoughts.

                “I remember when Peeta and I were at the Hunger Games Parade thing….” I said quickly changing the subject. I knew Peeta needed to remember happy times, good thoughts. “-and we held hands. He didn’t want to let go because it kept him steady. We’re still like that….” I looked over at Peeta to see the story hadn’t worked. He still looked torn apart, which broke my heart. “Peeta, just think of happy things…”

                “How the hell am I supposed to do that when all I can think about was killing people? Killing people just to defend myself! I’ve turned into something I never wanted to be…”

                I began to tear up because I knew it was true. But we had to kill those people to defend ourselves and make it out alive. I watched Peeta throw his food down and storm away towards the forest. He wanted to be alone for a little while, but we both knew I’d end up getting up and going over to see him.

                Don’t go too far. I almost said. I turned back around towards Butch moving my hands across my face and through my hair. “Of course, my story didn’t help.” I looked at Ivy and Chasen who held their lips tightly, trying not to cry or speak. “I’ll be right back.” I said throwing down my food as well, loosing my appetite, and walking towards Peeta.

                The sun had begun to set, and I knew how both Peeta and I loved watching it, especially together. Assuming he didn’t want my company, I kept my distance from him until he reached his arm out for me to hold his hand. I sat close to him and we interlocked fingers. “Sorry.” He muttered. “It’s just-“

                “I know Peeta… we just have to try and stay positive…for the kids.” I watched him nod as his eyes stayed fixated on the sunset.”

                I am not pretty. I am not beautiful. I am as radiant as the sun.

                Silence had almost never sounded as beautiful. But only one thing could make silence seem so loud. A figure appeared to be walking towards us from the sun.

                Effie? One of the Allies?

                I watched as they aimed an arrow towards us. “Move!” I said shoving Peeta and saving his life. The arrow would’ve hit him exactly between the eyes. Peeta seemed speechless, looking at the figure.

                “You’re responsible for killing Paylor.” The man’s deep voice said. It was obviously the guard who had dodged death. I started at his wound on his chest for a few moments. “I’ll kill both of you now.”

                Before he could say another word, an arrow hit a spot right beside his wound, killing him instantly. I turned around and saw Butch with my bow and arrows. I would’ve been angry, but in a situation like this, I was thankful. “Let’s go.” Peeta said putting his arm around me leading me forward.

                Suddenly, we heard the anthem play and five cannon shots. Two people who had appeared in the sky were of our allies, two were Paylors guards, and the last one to appear was Paylor. I couldn’t believe she was dead, because it had all seemed so surreal.

                “Let’s go home.” Peeta said interlocking his fingers with mine, sending a feeling of comfort and safety through my veins.

____________________________________________________________________________

Please comment about what you thought of this chapter or vote! Thank you(: