Chapter Eleven

I woke up to see the spot where the bullet was almost completely healed, We were in a hut, made from tree twigs, leaves, and syrup from the maple trees to hold it all together. I watched Peeta undress himself as the moon made his skin seem even more flawless. I had started to wonder whether he was doing this for the audience, or for me.

                “Peeta!” The man whispered waving Peeta over towards the hillside. He pointed off in a distance to show him a fire. “It seems that our army has made the Capitol army retreat for now.”

                Good. I thought. I can go another day without having to worry about getting a bullet through me again. I looked outside the hut to see the Capitol’s army approaching and attacking Peeta, Kale, and the other man.

                Peeta was being torn apart, literally. It was the grossest thing I could ever imagine. I watched helplessly as the other army tore him apart. I could hear the snapping of his bones, the laughter of the murderers, and Peeta’s screams silenced. When they had left, he had looked almost unrecognizable. His face had been scratched beyond repair and his body was literally turned inside out.

                I looked over at the man and Kale, and they looked almost the same way. Kale had a lot more blood pouring out of him and was clearly still alive and suffering. “Katniss” I heard Peeta say, “Wake up, you’re asleep. Katniss.”

                I jumped as I woke up; realizing that it was just a dream, they weren’t dead and it never happened. Peeta looked into my eyes and was holding my hand. The other man and Kale stood outside, waiting for something to happen. I looked back at Peeta to see fear in his eyes. “How bad was it?”

                “You couldn’t stop screaming and moving. I had to hold you down until you jumped awake.” He said gripping into my hand tighter. I didn’t want him to let go, there was always something about his touch that made me not want to let go. I couldn’t pin point exactly what it was, but it made me feel safer and secure.

                “What’s his name?” I asked pointing to the man.

                Peeta laughed. “Adam. He was one of my friends when I was younger, oddly.” I nodded staring at Adam, realizing that he looked familiar. He reached out his hand to me, “Come on, let’s go outside.”

                I grabbed his hand and walked outside with him trying not to lose my balance since the medication had a side effect of dizziness. Once I got outside, Kale and Peeta helped me sit up wihtout

falling backwards. Kale passed me some food but I refused to eat it, even though I haven’t eaten in days I didn’t want to eat because I just wasn’t hungry which another side effect of the pill was. I felt Peeta’s hand still holding mine as ate a few beans.

                “Are you sure you’re not hungry, Katniss?”

                “Yes, Peeta, I am sure.” I said in a calm voice. He held tighter knowing that soon I’d be starving, afraid that there wouldn’t be any food left. He tucked some berries into my backpack.

                “Just for next time, when you get hungry.” He said gently tossing my backpack to the side of me. I started feeling something that almost made me throw up. I knew something was out of place. Once I heard a noise close by I went into my tent and grabbed my weapons. Before I could tell everyone else to do so, it had happened.

                An ambush. The first person who was shot was Peeta. I watched him fall to the ground almost lifeless and bleed. “Cover me!” I yelled trying to carry Peeta back into the tent. I needed to heal him quickly. There wasn’t any time for a pill.

                “Peeta…Peeta listen to me. I’m going to get that bullet out right here, right now. I’d give you the pill but we don’t have time for it.” Just like Kale had done, I ripped off a piece of clothing but folded it around a piece of hard wood. “Bite on this.” I said putting it by his teeth and he did. I grabbed the knife from the ground and found the bullet. “I’m sorry Peeta.” I said as I moved the knife through and lifted the bullet up and out. He had started bleeding more. There must have been something that I could fix this with.

                I looked through my back to find a stitching kit. It had appeared out of the blue. Without over thinking it I told Peeta to hold onto my hand and squeeze it if it hurt. “Don’t try to be a man.” I said starting to sew it up. “If it hurts, squeeze, and I’ll stop.” He had squeezed only a few times and screamed once. I was surprised that Kale and Adam had held up all of those troops out there pretty well. I looked outside, and noticed that more of our allies came and helped, figuring out that we were main targets.

                I looked over back at Peeta who was losing consciousness. “Peeta” I said grabbing his hand. “Don’t leave me, Peeta.” His eyes had shut and his pulse was slowing down. “Peeta!” I screamed. He was dying, and I felt in the moment that it was my fault.

                I, Katniss Mellark, might have killled Peeta Mellark.

 ____________________________________________________________________________

Please comment about what you thought of this chapter or vote! Thank you(: