Chapter Eighteen

I realized what Haymitch had tried to say in his note to me. He was trying to get Ivy and Chasen back from Paylor. I knew he had cared for them just as much as we did, but I had a feeling that he had been drinking which made him not think for a while.

                “I know there was something wrong, Peeta.” I said throwing my arms around his neck, which had almost made him lose his balance. I felt his arms wrap around my waist, which made him gain back his balance, pulling me closer. We were both afraid for our children, obviously.

                “It’s going to be okay Katniss.” He said holding me tighter. We both knew we were trying to convince ourselves what he had just said was true.

                “What can we do?” I said looking into his eyes.

                He shrugged. “Well we have to sneak around the Capitol’s army somehow.”

                “We’ll get them back…right Peeta?” I looked over expecting a nod but there was just silence…

                “I can’t promise you anything.” He said handing me the necklace. “But I’ll try to get them, even if I have to die.”

                “Peeta, keep the necklace. Please.” I said holding it back out at him. He resisted, but soon gave in just like he did the first time. I watched him take my bow and arrow, but before I could take it, he had shot it. “Peeta, why’d you waste the…”

                He turned me around showing me a dead man, who had his gun aimed at me. I kept staring at the body, and I couldn’t believe Peeta had noticed and reacted so quickly. I was really impressed with how he was improving with his skills.

                I turned around hugging him even tighter, and not planning on letting go. But sooner or later, we’d have to start walking so there wouldn’t be a whole army heading towards us. We had lost all of the allies but I was sure at least some of them were alive.

                Peeta had been carrying Rose for the past few miles since she had gone to sleep. We had taken turns carrying her until she woke up. “Are we there yet?” she asked the moment she woke up. We both laughed since it was unexpected and kind of funny.

                “Not yet, but almost.” Peeta said kissing her and putting her on the ground. We continued walking for what seemed like miles until we reached this tall building. It had millions of windows, and looked like a redesigned, new Capitol. “Well we’re here.” Peeta said taking in a breath, then turning towards me. “You know if we go in there, it’s going to be probably more of a fight then there was back there, right?”

                I nodded. It was something I didn’t want to think about, but I knew that the Capitol already knew we were coming in. Before we could step inside, we heard many footsteps heading our way. Peeta pulled out two hand guns and I pulled out my bows and arrows, ready to fire.

                I watched as a large group of allies returned; ready to enter the Capitol with us. I watched as a smile traced Peeta’s lips and so did mine. Rose looked relieved because she was afraid of losing anyone else she loved; which was Peeta and I.

                A man had approached me removing his mask revealing his ruffled dirty blonde hair and olive skin. “We have beat the army. We just have to beat the Capitol themselves now.” I nodded looking at the door. There was no way we were knocking, so we had to either bust in with one try, or find a different route.

                “Katniss! Look!” Rose said pointing to a door to a basement. Perfect, I thought to myself.  I looked around at the allies, most were women which had impressed me.

                “Let’s go.” I said walking over to where Rose was. We rushed down the stairs to a basement full of chairs and other unnecessary things. The man, who had come up to me, had found a room full of weapons, which would help us a lot. “This must be a trap, don’t go for it.”

                 Of course, there’s always that one person that just has to do it when you tell them no. This man had gone up to the weapon room. We watched him get shot with a machine gun that shot at a very rapid pace. He had died in seconds, probably not suffering a bit. “Let’s go, before something like that happens again.”

                We all moved upstairs to a room that had two grand staircases which was completely empty. I knew Paylor wasn’t stupid enough to send everyone in her building off to war. There was a flat screen in the center of the room and a beautiful design painted on the floors and the walls.

                Suddenly, the TV had come on and showed Paylor in front of a dark wall, hiding where she could be. “Hello Katniss. I know you want your children, and they love games, right? So let’s play hide and go seek. Come and find us Katniss”

                I watched as her head smashed against the screen and watched her collapse to the ground with an arrow in her arm. I saw Ivy aiming an arrow still at the camera lowering it down shortly after Paylor collapsed. I felt Peeta wrap his arm around me.

                Those three years of teaching her how to hunt and use bows and arrows had finally paid off. I knew that if that arrow wouldn’t kill Paylor, but it would give her a big disadvantage which we all hoped for. I watched as Ivy walked up to the camera with a smile on her face as her guards dragged her away. I laughed as Ivy and Chasen said “Hi Mom and Dad!” blowing us kisses.

____________________________________________________________________________

Please comment about what you thought of this chapter or vote! Thank you(: