Chapter Fourteen

I began to cry as Peeta held me closer that night. I knew that Adam had deserved it, but what if I had spared him and he would spare someone I loved? “Katniss, it’s okay. You’re safe now.” He whispered into my ear.

                “No I’m not. We’re not...” I said placing my hand on his forehead since his body had felt warm against mine. “Peeta, I think you’re getting sick.”

                “-off of your love of course.” I threw my backpack at him laughing almost too loud. “What? It’s true.”

                “Shut up” I said kissing him, feeling his warmth on my cold body. I moved back slowly. “How are you feeling?”

                “I’m feeling alright.” He said pulling away, and lying down on his mat, still holding onto my hand. I smiled as I looked out into the night sky. Even though he was probably sick, I didn’t mind laying down next to him or holding his hand. I heard him moan as he tried reaching his bottle that was only a few inches away from his fingers. I bent over him grabbing it. “Thanks.” He mumbled opening it.

                 I smiled and as I lay next to him, playing with his hair as he drank a little water. “You sure you don’t need more? I can give you some of mine-“I said getting up and taking out the bottle.

                “I’m good” he said grabbing my other hand, pulling me to lie down next to him again. I laughed as I fell down gently, moving closer to Peeta so his warmth radiated on me. Before he could ask me, I answered. “I don’t care if I get sick.” I put my head on his chest and thought about when we were in that cave during the Hunger Games. “Do you remember that cave?”                                   

                “Yeah, I do.” He said taking in a deep breath of air. He put his arm around me and yawned. “A lot has changed since.” Before I could ask about his wound, he fell asleep. I smiled and began to fall asleep in his arms, where I had felt safe. Just before I could fall into my deep sleep, I heard a stick crack. I quickly reached over Peeta to grab a bow and some arrows.

                I saw the brown eyed boy again, waving for me to come outside. I followed him to the camp fire. “What do you want?” I said in an aggravated voice. I had just wanted to go to sleep, not to strike up another conversation.

                He laughed. “To have a normal introduction that doesn’t involve any war. I’m Bell.” He said reaching out his hand to shake mine. “And I already know you’re name since everyone talked about you after those Hunger Games.” I laughed a little, because it was true. I looked back at the hut where Peeta

was sleeping, wishing he wouldn’t wake up and panic.

                “I should probably-“Before I could finish my sentence, he pulled me close and kissed me hardly.. Before he could take it any further, I shoved away and screamed “What the hell, Bell!” I pushed him down to the ground making him have a disadvantage in the situation. This wasn’t a laughing matter; this was a total stranger trying to make love to me, while I was married. He looked devastated trying to sway my emotions so he could win, but it wasn’t convincing at all. I heard Peeta come out of his tent and grab onto my shoulders.

                “What happened?” he said with a look of concern on his face, staring at Bell.

                I looked over at Bell in disgust. “He is disgusting and tried to do things that shouldn’t be done.” Before Peeta could get angry, I said. “But it’s over, Peeta. I love you, not him. Don’t cause any trouble.” I felt him calm down and go back to the tent. I turned around glaring at Bell. “Next time you try that again, I’ll make sure you regret it.” I said grabbing my arrow and bows following Peeta back.

                When I got back to the tent, he was constantly coughing and sneezing. “Can I check and see what’s wrong?” He nodded, figuring that was the best thing for the moment. “Do you feel tired?” He nodded as I looked down his throat. I began feeling my fingers around his throat, knowing it was sore. “You just have a cold.” I said pushing him to lie down. “Just get some rest, you’ll feel better tomorrow morning.”

                I kissed him goodnight as I poured some water onto a piece of my shirt and tore it off. I was getting less clothing on me, which was a concern. I placed it on his head; anyway, hoping it would cool down his fever.                 

                Within a few seconds, I saw a parachute, bigger than normal, land on the ground. I ran up to it and opened it, a brand new shirt, some cold medicine, bread, and water were in it.

                You’ve got them on their toes. Keep it up Katniss!            

                I took off my older shirt, stuffing it into my backpack and slipped on my newer one. “Peeta, wake up.” I whispered into his ear. He got up and looked at the medicine in astonishment. “Haymitch knows when we really need supplies.” I laughed giving him a pill. “Goodnight Peeta.”

                He kissed me and fell asleep almost instantly. Before I could close my eyes, I felt him put his arm around me. There was something about that, which made me feel safe. I fiddled my fingers around Kale’s necklace thinking about his struggles, and the promises I made him.

                Before I could cry, I had fallen asleep. Hoping to not have another nightmare, but Peeta’s arms had protected me from the nightmares and the fears. He was my protector and no matter how much I wanted to deny it, I knew it was true and so did he.

 ____________________________________________________________________________

Please comment about what you thought of this chapter or vote! Thank you(: