Chapter Eight

Ten years ago, Peeta and I went to the beach just for fun. But I didn’t know that this day would change my life.

                I remember seeing children running around in the ocean with their parents thinking I wanted to have a family like that; happy and enjoying life. I was happy and enjoying life, but I wanted children with Peeta. I was afraid to tell him I felt this way; I afraid he might not feel the same.

                The wind was light, but perfect. The sunset had engulfed the sky with pink and orange. Peeta was wearing his bathing suit which was blue shorts. I was wearing a elegant, pink dress that covered my bikini. We kept on walking until there was an area where not many people were. To the left of us, were a bunch of rocks where the waves crashed and created a beautiful sound.

                “Katniss.” He said smiling with a look in his eye that showed he had something up his sleeve.

                “Peeta, what are you doing now.”

                “Something that you’ll never forget.” He said running up to me and picking me up. He swirled me around as I laughed like a child. We enjoyed the moment as much as we were enjoying the moments we had before.

                He put me down and pulled out a small, black box and got down on his knee. “Katniss, I’m in love with you and I want this to last forever. I want my last name to be yours-” He opened the box and revealed a silver ring. The ring had small diamonds surrounding a fair sized diamond in the middle.            

                  “Katniss Everdeen, will you marry me?”

                I covered my mouth in shock. I knew this moment would come but we had just gotten into a fight a few weeks ago. Things had just started getting better and I couldn’t believe Peeta chose a risky move like this, and that’s why I love him. “Yes.” I said flatting my hand and letting him slide the ring on my ring finger.

                I snapped back into reality and realized that life wasn’t that perfect anymore. I went up to him and hugged him, crying almost uncontrollably. Why was he here and who let him in? I loved that he was here, but I was confused in the moment. “Peeta, you came all the way here just to ask me that?” I laughed a little bit, the thought of him coming here just to ask me that was ridiculous. He wouldn’t let go of holding me tight though, since it felt like months since we’d been apart, when it had only been a week or two.

                “Don’t let me go” he whispered trying not to loose himself or his emotions. I turned my head towards Kale who was still in the corner, but wasn’t crying. I waved him over towards me and reached my arm out. I let go of Peeta’s hug, now seeing the pain in his eyes, and hugged Kale. I held him close to me as well. Kale looked to be about twelve years old, just old enough to be chosen. Once I let go, I looked back at Peeta who looked like he hadn’t slept in days.

                “Peeta, I love you.” I said kissing him for a couple of seconds. “Never forget that.” He nodded, pulling away from the kiss. There were a million words I wanted to tell him, but I knew nothing could make him better. Nothing would be able to take the pain away from his eyes. “What’s wrong?”

“You know it, Katniss.” He said looking at the ground. “I could lose you out there. Or the Capitol could do the same thing to you that they did to me. They-“

                “Peeta, don’t give Kale any ideas.” I whispered. Kale didn’t need to know that the Capitol could possibly take him or me hostage and do the same things to us that they did to Peeta. The TV suddenly turned on and Paylor appeared on the screen. “Here we go again with these announcements.”

“Good afternoon, this is President Paylor. As you all know, we will be going to war tomorrow with Katniss, Kale, and others who are already your troops. I have come to tell you that this event will be broadcasted on TV, just like our past major events were. We also ask that only guns, knives, bows and arrows are used during the war. No grenades or anything that could possibly blow someone’s arm off. Thank you.”

                “Well, that was something.” Kale said turning around. “Panem is going to see us fight now. It’ll be just like the Hunger Games over again.” It didn’t change a thing for me. I’d been on TV many times, so it became a normal routine. I just had to block out the thought that I knew I’d be on television and I’d be fine.

                “Go to sleep!” I heard Cinna yell.

                “Can you sleep with me Peeta? Are you staying here overnight?” I said holding onto his hand tightly.

                “Of course.” He said holding onto my hand tightly. He smiled a little, showing some relief, knowing he’ll be able to sleep with me for another night.

                “Goodnight Kale” we both said at almost the same exact time. With my other hand, I wrapped my arm around him and hugged him close to me.

                “Remember, you’re going to be a hero. No matter what.” I said smoothing back his hair. He smiled a little as well.

                “Goodnight Katniss and Peeta.” We walked out of his room and into mine. The moonlight had made the room seem much brighter, and more beautiful. Once I got into bed, Peeta wrapped his arms around me. He must have known from my last words that I was ready to just give up.

                “Peeta, you don’t think I’ll die, do you?”

                “Of course not. You survived both Hunger Games not really harmed. The war is like the Hunger Games except you have a lot more allies. Just avoid the arrows, bullets, and kni-“

                “What really made you come here Peeta? In a marriage we’re supposed to be honest with each other and-“I stopped. I ran out of words to say after looking into Peeta’s eyes.

                “Katniss, that doesn’t matter right now. I’ll tell you soon.” Before I could start begging him for an answer, I felt him hand run across my stomach and then my legs. Before it could run anywhere else, I put my hand over his, interlocking fingers. I closed my eyes pulling his hand closer to me, and his body moved closer. “I love you.”

                I didn’t answer since I was drifting off to sleep. Before I fell asleep I heard him whisper something to me. It made me almost wake up and yell at him. But I had no energy left in myself. It would have to wait until we were preparing for the war, before my life would change.

He had whispered “I’m coming with you tomorrow.”

 ____________________________________________________________________________

Please comment about what you thought of this chapter or vote! Thank you(: