Chapter Three

The walk seemed like it took years. I couldn’t help but think what if Cinna couldn’t be fixed and Peeta overreacted. He was the type that stood up for what he believed in. He believed that Cinna could be fixed, and if they told him no, he’d fight back.

                The hospital was only a few blocks away now. I felt my stomach turning before I stepped into the hospital and I saw my mother. I walked inside to see if she’d notice me. The last time she’d seen me was before I moved out. From the moment she looked at me, she had tears in her eyes and reached her arms out for a hug. “Katniss, you look beautiful!”

                “How’ve you been without me?” I said concerned.                                                                       

                “I’ve been okay. I actually found another man and we’re doing really well.”

                “That's good. So what’s he like?”

                “Well, he reminds me of your father a bit.” She said looking off to the side. “Brown hair, brown eyes… But he’s amazing” I smiled. That was exactly what my mother needed, a new husband to fix her broken heart.

                “Well, I’m happy for you mom.” I said giving her a hug. “I actually need to go find where Peeta went.”

                “How is he, by the way?”

                “He’s been well. I’ve been keeping an eye on him and the kids.” I laughed a little.

                “Kids?” My mom tried not to yet. I forgot to tell her I had two children, which had made her shocked. “What are their names?”

                “Chasen and Ivy.  You can come over for dinner with your new man tomorrow night to see them if you’d like.”

                “I’d love to. Now, I have to get back to the ER. I’ll see you tomorrow” she said kissing my forehead and waving goodbye. I waved back and walked back outside. I saw Peeta and Cinna walking back towards the house.

                “Peeta!” I yelled. He must of not heard me because he didn’t even turn around. I started jogging at a pretty fast pace to catch up. Once I got close to Peeta, I hugged him from behind and screamed with delight. Peeta being himself freaked out and flung me to the ground.

                I had blacked out for a minute or two. I woke up to Peeta leaning over me holding a cloth on my head. “Hey, Katniss.”

                “What the hell was that?” I asked getting up too quickly and almost losing my balance. Cinna assisted me as Peeta stood up.

                “Well I thought you were someone trying to jump me and who is watching the kids Katniss?”

                “Haymitch came over and offered.” I looked around to see people who looked poor walking around looking for scraps of food. “What happened here?”

                “People are becoming poor, which is a problem. I listened to the TV in the hospital and they said revolts are starting. Paylor isn’t doing a great job.”   

                We continued walking home, looking at the damage being done from the riots. Houses were burning, an overwhelming smell of rotting flesh, and cries of children. I held Peeta’s and Cinna’s hand tightly as I tried to look away. “Did they fix you Cinna?”

                “They fixed him, he just can’t talk for a day. I told you they’d fix him, Katniss."

                “Thank you, Peeta.” I said holding him close. We had finally gotten back home. Ivy, Chasen, and Haymitch were out in the back deck. “What are you doing out here? It’s getting cold!”

                “A TV announcement told us to wait outside until after an announcement was made. They didn’t give out any more details.” Haymitch said. I could tell by the way he said it that it wasn’t good. The government must have been outraged by the riots and revolts. They might of cut their food short on purpose to weaken them in an attempt to stop the revolts, which had backfired.

                I overheard the roar of the anthem through the sky, just like I had during the Hunger Games. We had stopped walking and looked to the sky. It was almost dark out, so what did the government want now?

                “Hello, Panem!” I heard a very familiar voice say. “This is Effie Trinket!” She was wearing a wig that had a giant bow on the right side. She was wearing blue lipstick and a purple dress that was fairly short in length. She had still looked as young and crazy as she did during the reaping for the 74th Hunger Games. “I am here, as the voice of the government, to announce a New Reaping!” Effie said with her most positive voice possible. She always was positive.

                 But another reaping? The Hunger Games were done and over with. Why would Paylor dare to change that?  Paylor wouldn’t want to be the next President Snow.

               I had a flashback of President Snow dying. To this day, the cause of his death was still unknown. But it didn’t matter to us since he was dead and we had a “better” government.

                 “We will be selecting two males over twelve years old from each district tomorrow. The selected males shall fight in a war against the rebels. If anyone dares to interfere with this, consequences will be forced. Thank you and may the odds…forever be in your favor.” The image flickered to darkness and the only thing that could be heard was the mockingjay’s cry.