Chapter Ten

I woke up to see another man talking to Peeta and Kale. He looked about Peeta’s age, talking to Peeta and Kale. They were talking about traps and their plans for what to do once I wake up. I slowly lifted myself up seeing that there was a large piece of cloth wrapped around my leg.

                The man ran over to Peeta and pointed to me. Peeta got up quickly, relieved that I was still alive. “Katniss.” Peeta whispered, walking over to me. His hands found mine, and held them tightly. “Does it hurt?”

                “I actually can’t feel a thing. I can’t remember a lot…” I shaflaid barley remembering Peeta’s name or how I ended up here in the first place.

                “Okay, well we’re still in the same place where you got shot. People are starting to know we’re here and we have to move.” He said starting to gather the things. I put my arm around his shoulder and tried walking, which was a failure. So I walked with him, hoping along the way.

                The man that I woke up seeing still didn’t have a name, but had a nasty slash across his stomach. It must have been Peeta’s trap and he must have been the scream. I saw Peeta had got a small cut across his palm and I wanted to ask him to explain everything but I was too dizzy to even comprehend anything.

                “P-“I began but then began losing my balance. “-eeta. St-stop.” He stopped walking and looked in my eyes knowing something was wrong. He sat me down on a rock and pulled the water bottle out of his backpack. I declined it. He refused to put it away, until I drank it. I drank a little; acting like I had drank much more.

                I watched him tuck it back in and then look at the scar on my leg. “We’re going to have to get shelter and take it out.” The man passed Peeta a pill and I knew its purpose. It would knock out a patient for an hour and make them feel no pain, during or after the surgery. “Take this.” He said taking his bottle out. I refused it and just swallowed the pill. He needed the water, since I still had a full bottle and he didn’t. “I love you Katniss.”

                “I love you too…Peeta” I said feeling dizzy once again and then passing out.

                                “Give me the damn bottles, Katniss.” He said trying not to hurt me. He started smashing the walls, waking up the children, but he didn’t care. I held the bottle as if I was going to drop it and he lost it. “Don’t you dare Katniss!” he said running for the beer. I slammed it into the ground outside. “What the hell Katniss! That was my last beer! Now I can’t get anymore! What the hell, Katniss!” He

started screaming other things but it came out as drunken slurs. He marched upstairs to his room and slammed the door shut. I cleaned up the mess, as always, and tried to avoid getting glass in my fingers.

                I knew it would be a few minutes before he’d come back downstairs. I’d always be laying on the couch, and he’d tell me to move up more so he could lie behind me. After he’d ask that, he’d apologize and start snuggling with me. At first, I didn’t let him. We just sat on different couches staring at the walls. But this time, he didn’t come down. So I went up, to find him on the floor passed out. “Oh, Peeta, how much did you drink behind my back?”

                “Almost a half a pack.” He slurred. I sighed and sat next to him, and followed him to the bathroom after he started throwing up. I combed his hair back with my fingers as he coughed over and over.

                “I love you Peeta. That’s why I smashed the bottle.” I said kissing his cheek, trying my best not to breathe in the aroma of puke. It had been a half an hour in the bathroom of just silence, and comfort for him.

                After he had stopped he turned around held me close. I passed him a towel to take a shower with. When I had got up, he told me to stay. Clearly, he had become clingy feeling that since he couldn’t drink anymore, he only had me and the kids.

                I figured since he wanted me to stay in there, I might as well clean the mess. I mopped up the spots Peeta had missed and tried avoiding seeing him walk out of the shower. As I felt him getting closer to me, I moved away. “Go get dressed, and I can take you seriously.” He laughed a little and walked out.

                After I finished cleaning, I took a shower and about five minutes in, I heard the door open. “Peeta, stop.” I watched the shower curtain open as I saw Ivy’s face appear. “What Ivy?” I asked as kindly as I could.

                “Hi” she giggled. I laughed at the fact that she had come just to say hi. “Daddy asked me to ask you if you would go out with him tonight.” I smiled, a date. That wasn’t something that we did constantly, but it was something that was once in a blue moon.

                 I went into my room to get changed into something presentable. I picked out a light blue, puffy shirt and a black, dressy skirt. I smoothed out my skirt and put on some perfume before I walked out into the hall to go into the bathroom to apply some mascara, foundation, and eye liner.

                 I went around the hall looking for Peeta in every room. I went downstairs and walked around the house in circles. I started running, and becoming nervous when I crashed into him. I fell on top of him, laughing at how foolish I made myself seem. Peeta pulled me closer, seeming not to mind me being on top of him.

                He laughed as I stared into his blue eyes, probably seeming like a fool. Before I could get up, Peeta wrapped his arms around me, smiling like a fool. He pulled me closer and breathed in my perfume

which he seemed to love. Before he got up to lead me to our date, he said one thing that made me think about everything that was going on.

                “The feeling of losing you is why I drink.”

 ____________________________________________________________________________

Please comment about what you thought of this chapter or vote! Thank you(: