Chapter Thirteen

“Why did you kill him?” Peeta yelled standing up ready to start a fight with him. I stood up ready to stop it. The last thing I needed was Peeta to get hurt, again. “Huh?” he said angrily moving closer to Adam. I could see the anger in his face, he was furious with him, which had surprised me. Adam held the gun up to his head.

                “I’ll shoot you-“he said placing his finger on the trigger, ready to pull it.

                “Put the damn gun down Adam!” I yelled walking over to him, pulling out my arrow and aiming it towards his chest.. “I’ll shoot you in the heart if you shoot him. I’ll make you die slowly and painfully like Kale did.” I said. “You murdered my best friend. You are such a monster, Adam.” Before I could say anything else I would regret I added “Just leave!"

                Adam seemed hesitant before putting the gun in his pocket and put his hands up, acting as if he was innocent. I stared at him as everyone looked back and forth between the three of us. It had been such a tense scene, and I wish it hadn’t happened in the first place.

                “Give me the gun” Peeta said holding his hand out. Adam handed it over slowly and went into his hut. I watched him look back and glare at me. After he had gotten into his hut, I took a deep breath and sat back down next to Kale. Kale still looked young, even though he looked more pale and his face was covered in blood.

                “Oh Kale” I said running my fingers around where his hair used to be. I noticed he was wearing a dog tag necklace that had his name engraved on it.  I removed it from him and put it around my neck. “I told you that you’ll live with Peeta and me.” I watched as the allies gave me flowers to place around Kale like I had done to Rue. They were both so young and had more life to live than I do. I kissed his head and walked away, trying to hold in my emotions.

                Peeta came over and tried to comfort me with a hug. I lightly shoved him away, not wanting any affection. In the moment, I didn’t want to talk to anyone, I just wanted to be alone. He gave me the puppy dog eyes like Ivy and Chasen do. “Peeta, please stop.”

                I watched the woman that had been talking to me earlier come over. “Hey,” she put her arm around me “I’m sorry about what happened.” She looked over at Adam’s hut. “I don’t know why Adam did that. He’s usually not that type…” Peeta had left, and I began to feel alone even though the woman was still talking to me. “I’m Ava. That’s my daughter Rose.” she pointed to another girl talking to Peeta “She’s only fourteen and she wanted to do this because of you.” She smiled gently.

                “Well that’s nice.” I said. I wanted to say that I was happy about it, but if something was to happen to her, it would be my fault she was here in the first place.  I took a deep breath, trying to stay positive but I couldn’t. It was too hard to not think about blaming myself for someone else’s death. It was my fault that Kale had died, since the arrow was aimed at me, and I knew that.

                “Rose, she has much more life to live than me, I know it. It doesn’t have to do with age in this moment; it’s about who is a better thinker and who can survive a war.  I know I can’t survive as long as she will.” She was right with the first part, but I couldn’t understand why she wouldn’t live long. She seemed smarter than most people here and easy to get along with, which would help with making allies.

                “Why can’t you?” I asked. She looked broken down but still strong enough to last for a while in this war. I had faith in her, that moment, but I could tell she didn’t have any in herself.