Chapter 21

Everything has changed

Everything has changed since the Dread Doctors came into our life, shaking the unstable ground we walk on harder than anything else we faced has. None of us talk to each other much, besides short conversations about anything other than the elephant in the room. Kira left, she found out that the Dread Doctors did something to her, causing her to spin out of control. She decided that she needed to help herself, before she could help others, and honestly, I don't blame her. It's been hard fighting back against the Dread Doctors, especially when we can't seem to win against them. Worst of all, our once tight knit pack is now falling apart by the seams, and I don't think that any of us know how to deal with that.  It's been a few days since we all found out that Jordan is the one that has been stealing all the bodies, and I still haven't told him. I know how terrible that seems, but I just can't bring myself to do it, not just yet. He's finally getting his position back at the station, and my father is finally beginning to trust him again. And I know that if I tell him, he will feel so much guilt, guilt from hurting his fellow deputies, and guilt from hurting me. I know I have to tell him soon, though, I'm just not quite ready to change his life, and drag him back to that dark place of not being trusted by his people at the station, not being trusted by my dad. And most of all, not trusting himself.
That is why Stiles, Lydia, and I have taken it upon ourselves to find the Nemeton, which is where Jordan put the bodies in his dream, before I tell him that he's taking the bodies. Let me tell you, finding it is one of the hardest things ever, it's like finding that specific grain of sand from a sand pile. The last time it took four of us almost dying by being drowned in ice water for hours.
This is our lives now. Not only us, but the whole town is living in fear of the unknown. Perhaps the biggest fear to us, is that we have no idea how to stop the Dread Doctors. This new sense of hopelessness is something we haven't  experienced. The longer we go on like this, the more I fear what will happen to us, what will happen to the once strong united pack with our True Alpha leader.
"It's almost like this thing doesn't want to be found." Stiles muttered wandering around the area of forest we've walked through at least three times.
Lydia shrugs,"Maybe it knows we're late for class."Because we've been here twice."
Stiles looks over at the tree we have been marking to make sure we haven't gone in circles, which currently has two marks on it. "Crap."
"Can you talk to Parrish now?" Lydia asks me.
My eyes widen," Can we look around a while longer? I don't want to tell him until we absolutely can't find it at all."
Stiles nods in agreement,"Just hang on a second, shouldn't you be able to find them?"
"Me?" Lydia asks in confusion.
"Yeah you.You're the Banshee, you find the bodies." Stiles explains.
Lydia shrugs her shoulders,"Well, the Banshee's having an off day. So how about you talk to Parrish? Come on Noelle, you have to get it over with anyway, and you know that we aren't going to find it without him."
Stiles shakes his head,"We can't"
"Why not?'" Lydia asks.
Stiles lets out a sigh, and I realize he's not only trying to protect Jordan, but also him and I. If we find the Nemeton, that means that we are going to find the body of Donovan, which will bring about a whole nother set of problems to deal with, which is the last thing we need right now. "Because one of the bodies...One of them...One of them could be.."
"Could be what?" Lydia ask curiously
"One of them could be a clue.." Stiles rambles.
I let out a sigh,"It's fine Stiles, I can tell him. I really should have told him the night we found out."
Lydia smiles victoriously,"It will be fine, Noelle. It's always better when they know."
Stiles rolls his eyes,"Well then, he should know he owes me a jeep."
I walk over to my jeep, which is parked on the edge of the woods, next to Lydia's car. I get in and drive over to Jordan's apartment, knowing he would have just got off work an hour ago. I park in my usual spot and pull out my phone, calling him.
He picks up after the second ring,"Hey El, I was just about to call you. I have the rest of the day off, do you want to come over and watch movies, I was thinking that we could make that pasta you're always asking to make."
I smile sadly, he's so sweet, and now I have to tell him news that will probably ruin his night. "That sounds amazing. But I have to tell you something first, I'm outside your place, do you want to go for a ride?"
"Of course, is there something wrong?"
I let out a sigh, tears of guilt welling up in my eyes,"No, there's just something you should know."
"Alright... I'll be right out," He replies, nervousness evident in his voice.
Not a minute later, I see him walk out the front door, looking attractive as ever. When he gets in, he greets me as if nothing was wrong, pecking me on the lips, and smiling. I pull out of the parking lot, not saying anything right away, bracing myself for what's to come.
After a few moments of silence, Jordan clears his throat,"El, you're making me nervous, whats going on?"
I took a deep breath, parking my jeep alongside the road, it's time,"So, you know how you've been having that same reacurring dream about carrying bodies to the Nemeton, while on fire?"
He nods,''Yeah, what about it."
"Well, it turns out that it wasn't just a dream. You're the one taking the bodies. This explains the periods of time that go missing to you. I've known this for a few days now, but you were finally getting back to normal at work, I just didn't want to ruin that for you."  I tell him hesitantly.
I look over at him, his expression pretty blank, and he's quiet for a moment, taking it all in. "Well...I guess that makes sense, I don't know how I didn't figure that out."
"You're not mad at me for not telling you sooner?" I ask, a little bit confused.
He shakes his head, grabbing my hands,"Of course not, I'm glad you were looking out for me."
I smile slightly,"We need your help though, we have to find the Nemeton, and we think you are the only one who can find it."
I drive us to the forest, and we get out, and begin to look for the Nemeton.
"So if this place is so important, how come you didn't want to show it to me before?
I get out of the driver's side, telling Jordan to drive, explaining that his instincts should tell him where to look.
"So if this place is so important, how come you didn't want to show it to me before?" Jordan asks.
I shrug,"Well, the problem is, it's not easy to find. It took us almost drowning in ice water to find it the first time."
"Should I put it into a GPS?" he asks.
I shake my head,"Not exactly."
"So, how are we going to find it? Because I have no idea where to even look for thing giant tree stump, I've only seen it in my dreams." Jordan asks, taking a right turn without me telling him to.
I smirk grows on my face."I think you're already starting to remember."
"How do you know that?" he asks.
"You just took a right turn." I tell him, causing him to look over at me it surprise, as he had not even noticed that he turned.