Aliens

This is not a rant.

Today in my science class, we talked about extra-terrestrials and space. It got my friends and me wondering...

First of all, what is our standards of life (liquid water, oxygen, "Goldilocks" distance from a star, no poisonous atmosphere, etc.) are completely irrelevant?

We think that life fits into these standards because we haven't found life out of them. But we discover life living in (thought to be) impossible environments, so couldn't we find aliens outside of our known comfort zone?

Aliens could have adapted to live in "poisonous" gasses with no oxygen and no liquid water. 

Also, they could have completely different brains than us. Do they love, compute numbers, read, feel companionship, value art and beauty? They could be so different from us. They could communicate telepathically or be programmed from birth. 

These kinds of what ifs are the bases for many a science fiction novel. 

Everyone talks about how they could be so much more developed than us and would take over, but what if they were just starting out?

This is a point that my friend pointed out. Would we help their civilization grow on their planet? I am not so sure that we would, instead focusing on our own world, but I think that if they were honest in their asking, that help should be given.

Also, what if the aliens had had previous contact with earth? Like they were the Norse and Egyptian gods. There are so many ancient mysteries and unexplained events and pictures from very old times. 

Living on earth would give us fossils, but not if they were immortal, as another of my friends pointed out.

Then they would come down to earth and speak ancient languages. That would be so scary.

I don't believe in most of the things that I'm saying, but aliens are such a giant thing to think of and there are so many directions one can go. 

Mind-blowing. 

Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts on aliens and the extra-terrestrial! Remember to vote and comment! I am always welcoming of constructive critism or any point of disagreement.