Nerds Falling in Love with the Bad Boys or Popular Guys in Stories

OK, this really bothers me.

There is an infinite "treasure trove" of books like this on Wattpad - the nerd or outcast girl has loved the popular guy for forever. Then they suddenly bump into each other and the guy discovers the girl exists. Then the girl leaves her nerd friends and her real self to become popular and the girlfriend of the popular guy. 

I've read a few of these stories because I get seriously sucked in - I start to like the characters, I want to know more, and it just becomes a downward spiral. It doesn't help when the author has good writing skills.

I am not saying that these books are terrible, but they are rather cliché and unrealistic. 

Being a nerd/smart kid, I relate to the nerdy girl, whose nerdiness is never really revealed or explained in the book. Anyway, the girl abandons her past friends as soon as she and the "hot" guy have a "connection".

OHMYGOD WE BRUSHED HANDS! WE HAVE A THING! I WALKED BEHIND HIM IN THE HALL! WE HAVE A THING!

Or the worst ones: HE LOOKED AT ME! HE TALKED TO ME! HE KNOWS MY NAME!

My friends and I come up with these all during our lunch. They are great.

A smart girl would know better than to abandon good, smart friends; they are described as being so, for a potential pot-smoking, tobacco-smoking, drinking jerk that takes advantage of girls and their want for popularity.

My friends and I know better. We are friendly acquaintances with those people, but we do not get close to them because they really don't have fantastic moral values. A few of them do, but there is so much peer pressure revolving around those guys that they eventually give in.

We can say that love is boundless and disobeys all of these warnings, which it may, but a nerd girl would not be one to follow with reckless abandon.

Also it REALLY irks me how when the girl bumps into the guy he doesn't even know that she goes to his school and yet she still thinks, "Yep! This is a good idea!".

In the books, they make it sound so simple and innocent when the girl falls for the TOP popular guy, but, at least at my school, that guy would be doing drugs, drinking, and getting the girl to have sex with him. Not innocent at all.

In the story, THERE IS NONE OF THAT. How did he get popular, then? On his good looks?

No. That would only result in jealousy from the other guys. Also, the book never includes any peer pressure, or if they do, it is really minor.

There have been a few with drinking, but everyone knows teens drink. Drugs are never a part of the story.

Anyway, that was kind of a weird rant.

Vote and comment! Thank you!