Chapter 23~ Surprises

BRIAR.

The crisp air of the outside did not surprise me. Summer's been over for a while and the heat wouldn't last forever. I wrapped my light jacket firmer around my body as I waited for Luke's car to pull up.

A crimson-coloured mid-sized vehicle pulled up along the pick-up lane. I stared at the peculiar and unfamiliar car for a while until its windows rolled down, revealing Luke in the driver's seat.

"It's my mum's car," Luke answered. He pressed a button that unlocked the passenger door.

"Yours is still in the shop?" I asked once I got into his car and shut the door.

He nodded slowly. He turned the key to ignite the engine. Luke had some trouble getting the car to start after he accidentally turned it off.

Luke's mum's car was in desperate need of some auto care. Despite my limited knowledge on automobiles, I know enough to come to that conclusion. Based on engine starting troubles and the car's constant stalling, the car was pleading for a tune-up.

The car drive went by in silence until his phone lit up. I could see him glancing at it in the corner of his eyes, hesitating on whether or not to pick it up. I thought it would be a good idea to check what it was.

The phone was in one of the cup holders. My hand slowly inched towards the one closest to Luke. His phone was brushing my fingers before I fully grasped onto it.

Luke's phone was still lit from his notification. Underneath the time and date display was a small banner. He received a text message. The sender's contact name was not available and I couldn't decipher most of the message. Well I could, but I did not want to snoop farther.

"Luke do you know this number, " I then read out the number to its desired recipient, Luke and turned in my seat to face him properly. He didn't seem to mind that I had just picked up his phone

His fingers clenched the wheel harder as he nodded his head.

"Yeah," He replied hastily. "What does it say?"

His reaction confused me. I read aloud the message, " 'Can you come by now?' " My grip on his phone tightened when I finished reading.

He nodded again, more to himself than to me. He appeared to be conflicted with his thoughts. Luke let out a sigh of frustration.

"Seriously?" He pounded the wheel in anger, making the horn blare at the poor car in front of him. Whoever this person was, stresses Luke out.

"Who is it?" I asked, my voice laced with confusion. I did not have a clue who this person was and why they want Luke to come over.

"My sperm donor," Luke responded coolly, an major improvement from his just-moments-earlier state of fury. I did not expect that.

"What?" My eyes widened.

"My parents divorced when I was little and I don't consider him my father." Luke clarified, turning down an unknown to me road. "He lives on the other side of town with his new wife and his infidelity child. "

"Infidelity child?"

"He cheated on my mother with a barely legal woman that lived down the street," He spat aggressively, regaining the anger he had possessed in his voice. "They produced a child. Now he and my mum could've worked it out, but he was a loser and divorced my mum. He married the skank could you believe that?" He turned to me with his face bright red and his now bloodshot eyes were demanding a response.

I couldn't muster any words to say so I shook my head no as a response.

Halting the car at a stop light, he brought his hands to his face. Luke took a deep intake of breath to calm himself down. A glance at the street signs made me realise we weren't headed to our street.