Part III: Chapter 12

CHAPTER 12 – EMERGENCY

A/N: This chapter involves discussion & description of emotional and physical abuse, but nothing majorly graphic.

I went along with it for a few more minutes, just in case he was hoping my parents wouldn't ask any questions. As soon as we went outside and we set the mallets and wickets down, he ran toward me and gave me a tight hug. It was unusual, but I didn't resist; God knew he needed it.

"What happened?" I asked gently, holding him at arm's length. "And why aren't you wearing any shoes? Did you walk here like that?"

"Yeah," he muttered, obviously trying hard to fight back angry tears. He sat down in a chair on the porch and dusted off the bottoms of his feet. "I don't know how to even tell you this-"

"Are your parents hurting you?" I asked, figuring I knew the answer already but prepared to help him get it out if my guessing would do that. I sat in the chair next to him.

"I don't- You- They," he stuttered. "Yeah. How did you know?"

"How did you guess?"

"I didn't," I answered honestly. "Frank did. Just yesterday, actually. He said... he told me he thought the way you were acting was strange, like you're always trying to hide injuries. He also mentioned a time when you didn't want to go home, which made him wonder why. I'm sorry," I felt obligated to add, "that I didn't say something sooner. That none of us did. I guess we just didn't want to be wrong."

"Yeah... I do wish you guys would have said that you knew. Or at least suspected. Because, really, is the awkwardness of being wrong really worse than the possibility of consistent pain inflicted on a friend?"

"I realize that now. I'm really sorry."

"I forgive you. I... I don't think I can forgive them, though."

"Your parents? I don't blame you. But... Don't you think it would feel good to forgive them?"

Maybe all of these religious conversations I was having with Frank lately were getting to me, but I felt like I should add a little gospel into the conversation, too, for my friend's sake. "I'm not saying what they do is excusable by any means. I just think if you could find the ability to do it, maybe it wouldn't change the situation at all, but it might change you and how you handled it."

"Maybe it would make me a better person or whatever, but they don't deserve my forgiveness."

"I get that." Yet, I didn't know what else to say. I let him speak instead. Enough preaching for the day. "Want to talk about it?"

"Well, today started off okay. I'm still not even completely clear on what set them off. But the next thing I know they're... they're coming for me, and I didn't know what to do, so I just left. I didn't have time to find shoes and your place was the only place I could think of that I knew how to walk to. It only took me about twenty minutes, but wow, my feet hurt like crazy after ten. So... here I am. Wondering if I can stay with you for tonight."

"That is terrifying," I commented, unsure what else to say. "The fact is, you're a legal adult now. You don't have to stay with them at all."

"I realize that, but... I feel like I should. As much as they hate doing it, they have provided for me for the full eighteen years and made sure I stayed alive that long. It's not like they've ever neglected me. They care on some level." He paused. "Right?"

"I don't know. I really don't know." I took a breath, running my fingers through my hair and trying to find the words to say. He kept talking instead.

"They convince me of things, too," he said, starting to fume at the thought. I could tell his mind was running about a million miles an hour. "It's okay," I told him. He took a moment to catch up with his thoughts.

"Nothing bad. But they try to control who I know and who I don't, like... Like Christa, for instance."

"Frank also thinks you're the one who broke up with her, not the other way around. Is that part of it?" I supplied.

"He's got that right. Damn, I miss her... she was so good to me. She doesn't deserve this." He slammed his fist into his head, like he thought it was his fault.

"Dude, calm down. Please. What... happened?"

"Pretty straightforward, really. They acted like they were so happy to meet her when we went to prom. Took pictures and all that and sent us off. But when I got back, they did nothing but tell me how much they didn't like her. They told me she was rude and slutty and offensive to our family, and that she'd never be welcome back. I didn't let their opinions bother me; I didn't see any of that in her and she was really so... so amazing. So amazing. It wasn't until school let out and I told them we'd planned to have a standing date once a week that they told me to end the relationship. I'm too stubborn for my own good – I told them I wouldn't do it. And I didn't. Instead... I'm such an idiot. I know they know my passwords... You can guess."

"They did it in place of you?"

He nodded. We sat in silence for a moment.

"What can I do?" I asked. "If there's anything – anything at all – I can do to help, please tell me."

"See, that's the thing," he said. "I should have told you – or someone – sooner. I'm eighteen now. Can't call child services on an adult. Nothing is binding me to their household but the lack of anywhere else to go. And I mean, it's not always bad there. In fact, they can be great. That's just... sometimes, you know?"

"Yeah. Can I tell-"

I was interrupted by the back door opening and my mother stepping out. "Ray, your father just pulled in the driveway, I think." Oblivious to what was really going on, she smiled and beckoned for him to follow her inside.

I glanced at Ray for some kind of indication that he was okay with her knowing why he was here to begin with. He shook his head quickly. "Thanks, Mrs. Way. I'll meet him at the car."

"Thanks for coming over, Ray!" I said, trying to act like there was no heavy topic weighing on my mind. "You should visit more often."

"I will," he said. I wished that didn't have to be such a sad answer.